Strongly considering keeping it, need advice on getting it spruced up.

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trucks got alot of issues, going to start widdling away at it. First and foremost, is there any way to get this thing to start similar to an OBS stroke or a CTD? I've gotten spoiled with the startability of my other trucks, I just want the thing to start better than it does. I've got a major air intrusion problem as of now, trying to track that down.

I got a 30 gallon Bronco tank for it when I got the truck, I'm going to put that in. What all is involved with that swap? Current one is leaking, so I need to get it in asap to avoid losing money with fuel draining out on me going down the highway.

I've got a list of stuff I've noticed wrong with it, stuff that needs repair or replaced, nit-picky items and so forth. I'm alotting around $2,000 for total repairs and parts. If any of you guys would like to know some or all of the problems, let me know and I'll post up. Thanks in advance.

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the air intrusion or leak down is proly one of the bigger reasons your truck won't start. Do you have this problem all the time or just after it sits for a while?

Have you checked out the gp system, how's the motor turning over when you try to start it? Are your batteries good, are the battery cables good, do you know that you're getting good ground from those cables?

That's what I would check, things like that, but I'm a noob myself and others will have more info on what to specifically check.

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brand new starter, brand new 850 cca batts, brand new ground cables, positive cable is in excellent shape, as of Sunday night. I need to install another set of glowplugs, they got overglowed again, but this time not by me. I'm starting to get sick of the manual gp's, I really am. Motor spins over great, always had since I got this truck, except for when the old batts started getting weak and smoked the starter.

With the new Beru's all around, freshly charged 750cca batts, and the decent starter before it locked up, the truck would start down to about 20* fairly good. Below that and it really wanted the plug.

I know it's in need of new injectors, and that those greatly help startability, but funds are slowly becoming available, so I can't just jump right in and buy everything.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can retrofit the solid-state GP system from an '87-'94 truck, you'll need the controller and preferably the harness and the ZD9 glowplugs. With this you can't overglow the plugs, and once you take care of your air intrusion she will have no issues starting in the cold - heck, mine had two dead plugs a month or so back, and she'd still fire off on 6 plugs in low-20s cold after sitting for two weeks.

About the bronco tank, Punk will chime in shortly, but basically it's the tank, straps that hold it in place, the Bronco fuel pickup assembly (modified to lose the fuel pump that goes with it), and some longer bolts.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trucks got alot of issues, going to start widdling away at it. First and foremost, is there any way to get this thing to start similar to an OBS stroke or a CTD? I've gotten spoiled with the startability of my other trucks, I just want the thing to start better than it does. I've got a major air intrusion problem as of now, trying to track that down.

I got a 30 gallon Bronco tank for it when I got the truck, I'm going to put that in. What all is involved with that swap? Current one is leaking, so I need to get it in asap to avoid losing money with fuel draining out on me going down the highway.

I've got a list of stuff I've noticed wrong with it, stuff that needs repair or replaced, nit-picky items and so forth. I'm alotting around $2,000 for total repairs and parts. If any of you guys would like to know some or all of the problems, let me know and I'll post up. Thanks in advance.

Mine starts faster and easier than most of the newer trucks, and maybe thats cause I have a Gear Reduction Starter but then again I have only one battery. When warm, mechanical motors will start much easier, should take a bump of the key.

What else is wrong?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Read the tech article "thoughts on hard starts and air". IDI's should and do start better and faster than a PSD.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
The 86 that i use to have the white one i sold my buddy, when i had it all 8 glow plugs were working it would start at 15 degrees not plugged in and when i hit the key it would be running within the second turn of the engine, i use to have a sound clip of it but i cant find it,

The biggest thing is having all working glow plugs and a fuel system thats in good shape, if the fuel system is worn out expect it to crank like a worn out engine, a compression test might not be a bad idea, but if everythin is right on the engine it will start faster than a OBS stroke, and it will start almost as fast as a cumapart,

The 83-86 glowplug system is a fine system i actually think its easier to work on than the newer system, when i finally get some more glow plugs in my 86 im confident it will start like one is supose to

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I'm alotting around $2,000 for total repairs and parts. If any of you guys would like to know some or all of the problems, let me know and I'll post up. Thanks in advance.

$2000 should go a long way if your transmission is good and your motor runs decent once started.

For starters (pun intended LOL) it would be a good idea to replace all of your return lines and o-rings along with any other fuel lines. Although they might look good it brings a lot of peace to mind knowing that you have eliminated a potential problem. How old is the fuel pump? If its old it wouldn't hurt to replace it while your into the system. I agree with everyone here that if everything is in good shape your motor should light off even in the single digit temperatures.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online