String of bad luck. Promar engine gone

04_6.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have been out of the country for sometime with work (had to do two cycles in a row). I got home on the 28th to spend sometime with the wife and kids. Decided I would go get the truck at the shop where it has been sitting for awhile. Its about a 45 minute drive so we met my brother and his family for supper after i got the truck. I drove it about 5 miles to texas roadhouse after paying off the final bill and getting all my documents and such. I ran the truck on a few hard passes up to 3rd gear it ran great I just forgot how under powered these things are!!! I was happy though. My oldest girl which just turnned two was loving the truck, she said it big, it loud!. She doesnt know it but she loved the old superduty we had with a cummins. I strapped her car seat in the truck she can ride home with me. So after super I was following my wife home I caught a wiff of something burning. Called her told her I was gonna pull over she could keep going. Looked couldnt see anytihng. Climbed under the truck with the flashlight nothing the engine was spotless. Figured burn off from cleaning or something. Looked at the manual oil pressure gauge reading 35 psi at idle. Got back on the road. Getting ready to hit the bridge my oldest girl starts saying and asking me to get her baby she dropped it. While im blindly feeling for the baby in the back seat I feel a miss like a stutter then the motor gets loud and starts popping. So I shut it down and come to a stop on the bridge. Flashers on look underneath oil everywhere ouch. Called wife she turned around I threw it in Neutral and backed down to the base of the bridge to get out of the way. Manual oil pressure gauge still reading 35 psi even after I shut the truck off. Next morning owner of the shop calls says he saw the truck on his way to work and wanted to stop and look at it. I said go for it. Calls back in 15 minutes says he is going to get the tow truck and bring it back to the shop I said ok. Calls me back again just before lunch and tells me the engine is done and it's their fault. Culprit was a piece of plastic wrap used to cover the oil drain on the turbo was never taken out when reinstalled. Shop owner said he put the turbo on himself and he doesnt remember taking it out. So he asked what did i want to do. I said i wanted an engine with a good warranty and has headstuds (a promar). Or refund me the money I spent and I will do a engine swap. I debated it alot when I was replacing the original engine to swap a cummins in it. Ive always had a soft spot for the OBS and the IDI but after the drive I am certain i am going to do a cummins/zf6 swap. This will be my fourth Ford to do a cummins swap in, but first obs. Looking foward to another one. Already ordering parts and looking for an engine. I have a transmission and tcase already. I have just under two months to do the swap.

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man thats a harsh way for a motor to die. But I'm glad the shop stepped up and took on the blame. Many members here have some nasty horror stories of things going the other way.

Either way it sounds like this truck has some kind of good motor going into it. A cummins swap is on my "want to do one of these days" list.

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sucks a good engine had to die like that. At least they took the responsibility. I remember once I took my truck to a shop to have some work done, when I picked it up and drove it home, it wasn't until I got home that I noticed they had left a rag on the exhaust manifold. I was so lucky that nothing caught on fire. If that had happened, it would have been difficult to prove that the shop was at fault. That is why I try to do as much work on my truck as I have time to now, because I know that I can be sure that I keep track of everything I have taken off and needs to be put back on, etc. No one is perfect and mistakes are bound to happen. At least if I make a mistake, I can learn from it. If a shop messes up, unless they are honest and willing to accept responsibility for messing up, then you are out of luck. Glad to hear that it turned out okay for you.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kudos to the shop owner for owning up to it, but that really sucks...I'm sorry it had to happen.

OTOH, a 6BT swap can be fun :angel:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well thats a shame. But time to make lemonade from the lemons. There is a light at the end of every tunnel. Most of the times my light is an oncoming train...:eek::angel:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll say one thing for Promar engines, they are tough. I put one in my 90, drove 800 miles after a 1400 mile breakin pulling a 25' GN. Coming home the next 800 miles loaded with the 92 F350, two injectors were pouring diesel into the pan, 2 gallons when draining it. Tore it down, to see what damage might be done, none at all. I'd tear your's down and have a look. That was in 2007 and still running strong.

04_6.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's tough to buy a truck go through a crazy amounts of problems and finally be able to drive it. I've put 22 miles on the truck since I've owned it. Now it's time for a complete rebuild and engine swap. Tough luck sometimes.