String alignment

needlenose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck's been pulling badly to the right and the tires were going bald. So I replaced all the tires and took it to NTB because the little shop I always go to went out of business. The NTB guy had it for about 15 minutes then called me back into the shop. He took a crowbar and started prying on the i-beams and said there was too much play in the bushings. Then he said all the joints in the steering were bad as were the radius arm bushings. I told him I would replace everything myself so he charged me $90 and gave it back to me and said that he had "toed it in a little to help with the pull", but that "nothing else can be done until you replace all the components". I have 6 months in which to install all the components and get a "free" alignment "unless I have to set the camber; which is another $150".... :)

When I drove it home...... there's no difference. Pulls to the right like always. :rolleyes:

So I purchased all new steering components, ball joints, and bushings; but I haven't put them in yet.

This evening I tried the string-method and, believe it or not, it works awesome! In 2 hours, I not only experimented with the string, but I learned how to do it, corrected the toe, and straightened the steering wheel. All with about 60' of multi-colored pink and blue yarn out of my kid's Montessori sewing work. I used two scrap pieces of 4" x 4" x 1/4" angle to check the toe. It now drives smoothly and barely hints at a tendency to the right. I'm still not sure if it's not just responding to the slope in the road because it doesn't always do it.

Not really sure why the ****-bang professional with $15K in alignment hardware couldn't at least take a SWAG at it and get it as close as I did with some scrap metal and sewing materials from a 3 year old's project basket. Especially for $90.

So if you need a quick but effective alignment to keep from chewing up $1100 in tires, google the string method for alignment.

I'm still going to install all the new stuff, but at least now I can tow the RV 600 miles down to the in-laws house for a 3-day Thanksgiving reunion.... Oh lucky me.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shops are in it for the$$$
Yes he could have done it for you, but then what happens when you call back when the tires start to show problems?
Good heads up tho!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sounds to me like a perfect excuse to purchase some dream beams.
or a 4wd conversion

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I would still take them up on the free alignment.
But this is a tried and true method to get it real close.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin