Strange Clutch problem

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Having an issue with my clutch in my brown truck, this is unrelated to the new clutch slave cylinder, well as far as I know it was there before hand as well.
Anyway, what's going on is the clutch engages all at once, there's like no slippage to it. Plenty of pedal, I'm not saying its on the floor, it actually comes in at the top of the pedal. What I'm saying is when you feel the clutch engaging it just does, just like that. When I'm taking off from a stop its actually kinda difficult to get slip out of it because of how the clutch just hits and engages. Its a real balancing/feeling act to get any slip out of it at all.
Has anyone else ever had this problem?

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
Sean,

This was the way the clutch engaged on the '92 F-700 I used to drive when I worked at the hardware store. It had a Ford big block 429 and a big five speed transmission. I don't know why it worked that way, may have been adjustment on the mechanical clutch linkage, but who knows. Like you say, makes for an interesting start at the red light...

I would check your fork where it pivot and check for proper seating, and to make sure it isn't bent, other than that, I'm not really sure.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I had a problem like that in a car once, it was from a bent "finger" on the clutch plate

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
A release bearing that is not sliding easily on the input shaft can cause the same symptom...My 460 clutch was like that, I polished the sliding surface on the input shaft and replaced the bearing....Now the 6.9 clutch is all good. The clutches in both trucks engage high but they are solid and predictable.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Thats exactly how its working. Hmm. The clutch and bearing are brand new, along with the flywheel. I polished the crap out of the input shaft with emery cloth before installing the trans. And I also used high quality synthetic grease on the shaft and bearing before installing it. Hmm. Maybe I'll have to check the clutch for bent fingers. The clutch fork is brand new, I wonder if Ford had a bad run and I broke it.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
It is new and I can't remember for sure if they are raised or flat... The whole flywheel clutch kit was from Valeo, for a factory turbo truck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online