Strange Brakes

SEmerson

Reaction score
Nothing on TDR. What about here????

On my 97 (no anti lock) If I jab the brakes quick my back wheels lock. If I roll on them slow thay never lock. Also some times the pedel will just barly push and you can feel the rears grabing. But most of the time the pedel sinks a little farther and you feel the front do most of the work. Brakes are dry and properly ajusted.

What is the problem? I read somewhere about a check valve??? Could that be it?

RAF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be the load proportioning valve on the rear axle acting up.
If your truck has this on it,may be worth looking into.

CHarlan

Reaction score
It could be leaking rear axle seals, or the height sensing proportioning valve as well.... I have not been able to locate my height sensing proportioning valve on my truck, but I wish my back brakes would work better! Best of luck to ya!

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
I haven't actually looked at the valve, but mine pulls to the right with a load. Look on the driver side on the rear axle. There should be an arm attached to the axle, then the frame, thus when there is a load, the frame pushes down on the arm and adjusts the valve. I know I just need to adjust the rears, but it's un-noticable when unloaded. I also had rear axle seals take a dive in '03 at 100k.

russs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a similiar problem but its with all four.... When the brakes are cold, their touchy as hell and will lock up in an instant. Not much fun right now when the temperature is hovering around 20 degrees and the roads are compact snow and ice.... Once they warm up, they get much better... I'm thinking I need to get a set of Sams pads (The guy in Olympia Wa.) and maybe that will help. If anyone is interested I'll get some more infor on his brake pads. I hear he's the best for Dodge brakes.

NAIL BENDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Russ
I've got a similiar problem but its with all four.... When the brakes are cold, their touchy as hell and will lock up in an instant. Not much fun right now when the temperature is hovering around 20 degrees and the roads are compact snow and ice.... Once they warm up, they get much better... I'm thinking I need to get a set of Sams pads (The guy in Olympia Wa.) and maybe that will help. If anyone is interested I'll get some more infor on his brake pads. I hear he's the best for Dodge brakes.

I noticed this also the other day Russ. Very touchy.:eek:

russs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It'll damn near throw me through the window at times.... :( I'll have to find that guys name in Oly that is the Dodge brake guru...

infidel

Full of It
Reaction score
The guy you want is Sam Peterson 360 357 4958

Your grabbing problem sounds like flash rusting of the drums. It's worse when the weather is humid or raining. About the only thing you can do is be aware of it and take a few gentle stops to clean the rust off before you really need the brakes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calroc

Members online