stock fuel pump question

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my truck will not start so i checked for fuel leaks and wasnt any. then i pulled the new filter(about a week old) back off and it was full of fuel. next i pulled the hard line off the filter filter head and cranked the motor over and fuel would pour out and then stop. is that good or bad? i need help asap thanks

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also while cranking it i pushed bleeder valve and fuel only dribbled out. is the fuel filter cloged already?

skintbackfarms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sound like your fuel pump is bad. If your filter is only a week old, won't think it would be bad unless you got alot of trash in your fuel. Napa has the pumps for $25.00.

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats what i wonted to hear. my tanks clean inside. i guess its time for a e pump from genlighting.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm confused by your post. You say you don't get good flow while cranking at the schrader, but you get FULL flow at the hard line to the IP when cranking? Sounds kinda like your schrader valve is clogged. Might try unscrewing it from the filter head and see how that goes. There is a check valve in the form of a little plastic ball behind there. It may be stuck.

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm confused by your post. You say you don't get good flow while cranking at the schrader, but you get FULL flow at the hard line to the IP when cranking? Sounds kinda like your schrader valve is clogged. Might try unscrewing it from the filter head and see how that goes. There is a check valve in the form of a little plastic ball behind there. It may be stuck.

fuel from the hard line was pulsing exampl:pour then stop,pour ,stop while i was cranking it over. do you have a pic of the check valve. this morning it fired up then died and the fuel fuel light has been on the last few days

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You seem like an excellent candidate for an electric pump mod. Mechanical pumps do that pulsing kind of thing, which makes troubleshooting that much harder.

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i replaced the bleeder and now i get good fuel flow out of it now but its still not firing. i am charging the batteries there geting weak. how can i disable the glow plugs? also im not geting any fuel at the injectors yet:mad:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes you should absolutely diable your glow plugs until you know you have fuel at the injectors! The next place to look for fuel would be the return line coming out of the injection pump top cover. Loosen the hose or pipe there and see if it flows freely when you crank. If not, you may have a blockage on the intake screen in the IP.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
fuel from the hard line was pulsing exampl:pour then stop,pour ,stop while i was cranking it over. do you have a pic of the check valve. this morning it fired up then died and the fuel fuel light has been on the last few days

If the WIF lite is on thats water in the fuel in the filter. These engines don't run to good on water. You may have got a bad load of fuel, never fuel up if the station has just got a load of fuel or are filling there tank.

Remove the filter dump it out, fill it with fresh fuel or ATF, then try to start, may take a lot of cranking if the system is full of bad fuel. To check out the lift pump, remove the schrader valve core, put a hose into a jar or can, crank the engine, should get about a half pint in ten seconds of cranking providing your filter is full, if not your lift pump is bad. Disconnect the wire on the IP fuel solenoid before doing that so the engine won't start.

EDIT: Your changing the situation faster than I can type.

Last edited:

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the WIF lite is on thats water in the fuel in the filter. These engines don't run to good on water. You may have got a bad load of fuel, never fuel up if the station has just got a load of fuel or are filling there tank.

Remove the filter dump it out, fill it with fresh fuel or ATF, then try to start, may take a lot of cranking if the system is full of bad fuel. To check out the lift pump, remove the schrader valve core, put a hose into a jar or can, crank the engine, should get about a half pint in ten seconds of cranking providing your filter is full, if not your lift pump is bad. Disconnect the wire on the IP fuel solenoid before doing that so the engine won't start.

EDIT: Your changing the situation faster than I can type.

its not the wif light its the fuel filter light in the dash

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That light is triggered by a vaccum situation at the filter. Either you have a clogged filter already, or very low fuel supply from the lift pump. Take the core out of the schrader valve on the fuel filter head. Hook up a pressure guage to that valve and crank the engine. It should be 4-6 psi. For volume, you should get 1/3 of a pint minimum with 10 seconds of cranking.

You're starving for fuel. Gotta try and find out if it's the lift pump, the filter, or something in the tanks or the lines in between the tanks and the pump.

Heath

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online