stock fuel pump question

FordGuy100

Reaction score
White smoke while smoking?

If not.....

Have someone turn the key with the hood open, listen for the FSS. If no click at the IP, bad FSS.

If your getting white smoke, disregard.

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
today i installed a bbc fuel pump bock off plate. now i am just waiting for for my duralift fuel pump to get here. does anyone have any pics of the duralift pump mounted underneath the hood? just tring to get so ideas

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like my pumps as close to the tanks as possible. My experience is that electric fuel pumps like to push rather than pull the fuel. I have some photos of mine on the crew cab mounted on the frame rail near the tank selector valve.

You must be registered for see images

Here is the fuel line bypass of the old mechaincal pump.

Don't use the crap fuel line from Autozone, it's Thailand junk. Get some made in the USA Gates or Goodyear 3/8 inside diameter fuel hose.

Heath

BlueOvalBud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To disable the glow plugs, pull the power supply wire off the Glow Plug relay.
On my 85, it's the purple wire with the 90* boot that slips on one of the small studs of the relay.
Yours is the new style system, it's different, but I think it uses the same relay itself...but your wire color will be different.

I pull the purple wire whenever I'm messing with the fuel system...or when I need to put the ignition key in the ACC position for electrical work.

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like my pumps as close to the tanks as possible. My experience is that electric fuel pumps like to push rather than pull the fuel. I have some photos of mine on the crew cab mounted on the frame rail near the tank selector valve.

Here is the fuel line bypass of the old mechaincal pump.

Don't use the crap fuel line from Autozone, it's Thailand junk. Get some made in the USA Gates or Goodyear 3/8 inside diameter fuel hose.

Heath

I thougt these pumps were made to pull fuel, not push it? Thanks for the great pics, also I like the autozone comeant:rotflmao

OB_WAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, I'm pretty sure these pumps are built to pull diesel up to 20ft(since they sit on Refers)?

nice, simple and clean job on the bypass Heath. I was curious what the ID was on the hard line to make sure I wasn't causing any restrictions to flow.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They will sell you the wrong hose if you just ask for fuel hose. You have to ask for the hydraulic oil hose FOR DIESEL fuel. The counter guy will say it's the same, he's WRONG it's not. Gasoline fuel hose will be eaten up on the inside with diesel fuel.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thougt these pumps were made to pull fuel, not push it? Thanks for the great pics, also I like the autozone comeant:rotflmao

yeah, I'm pretty sure these pumps are built to pull diesel up to 20ft(since they sit on Refers)?

nice, simple and clean job on the bypass Heath. I was curious what the ID was on the hard line to make sure I wasn't causing any restrictions to flow.

I'm sure they are, but the only two failures of these pumps on IDI's that I've seen have been mounted under the hood (Exekiel69 and 69dieselfreak). Plus, there is enough crap under my hood as it is.:D

Heath