stock 01 PDS Idle smoke on WMO

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, what about in the oil fields hearing generators etc, running on almost 100% crude oil?(read that on a post here)
Granted these engines are special made to run crude oil but would they carbon up rather quick?

As far as crud in the wmo or wmo mix, has anyone ever looked at this stuff under a microscope?? I want to try to take some in to our high school, they might be able to get a pic or two I could post here.

petie6464

Reaction score
Why another engine will run on Crude, WMO or whatever is not the question. My question was and is "Does anyone have first hand experience running WMO is a 7.3 PSD long term?" Tons of guys have tried it and for a tank or so it's fine. . Then the smoke starts and everything goes downhill from there.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
EMD driver on here has, he dousent get on here much though. he has a 7.3 superduty

he uses water injection to keep it clean long term, that is actually where i am getting some of my advice from

petie6464

Reaction score
Sounds more like if you run WMO in a PSD you will end up with a smoker no matter what ratio you use. I have seen a ton of "Oh I'm going to add water Injection to steam clean my injectors" Never heard of anyone actually using this and "Fixing" the smoke problem, seems everyone thinks that's the answer but no one ever writes that it actually worked.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Petie
Sorry about the hijack.
Went back and reread your experience with injectors coking up, how fast or miles does this happen??
Could it be the computer is adjusting the timing via fuel being injected sooner or later???(I might be showing my lack of knowledge on PSD)
When you start up is it with "clean" diesel or your mix? Like some of the other guys said burning wmo on a "cold" engine might hurt.
On my old IDI I've starting using more gas in my mixes because I'm using a electric pump and don't want to have problems that route.
Even in warm weather I'm still starting up with "clean" diesel.
Just on the experimental side, have you ever tried using clean oil of some type and making a mix of 50% then see if it still smokes. I know that could have more cost
to it but maybe it would narrow the would be problems.

petie6464

Reaction score
She starts smoking @ about one tank of WMO. It starts as just a haze, it gets progressively worse and buy two tanks she’s belching smoke, running rough and in a bad way. A tank or so of Dino and life’s good again. I don't have a two tank system.

I am in Arizona so cold weather is not really a factor. I have been running WVO/RUG for years here and except for my learning curve have been trouble free and have burned around 800 gallons. I went to WMO for the same reason most do; can't get the WVO like in the good old days!

I have tried about every blend ratio you can think of with both RUG and diesel. I have looked into a DP tuner and his 80/20 RUG tune but that’s a lot of money to spend if it does not stop the "Coke smoke” There, now it has a name. lol

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
just curious what blend of WVO RUG did you run, i got about 100 gals or so to use up

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you alternate tanks of fuel, to keep the "coke smoke" away, (like that one btw)
Does the PSD have a "optical" fuel sensor of sorts?
Off the top of my head thats a big difference between wmo fuel and wvo fuel..??
Doing some reading about PSD's I think your correct on the tuner...?

petie6464

Reaction score
I guess you could but if you have to do that that sucks. The 01 PSD does not have an optical fuel sensor.

Not sure but my truck runs clean as can be with (WVO) the same or less smoke than on dino and that’s about zero except under heavy load, same as when it was brand new on Dino.

I would like to see firsthand a DP tuner in action with the 80/20 RUG blend and tune. I have seen only one thread that a guy was happy as can be with the tuner but you never know he could have had only a few miles and then gets on the puter "Oh my this is the ticket" you know how it is. .

I have a leaking water pump so I have to change that, when I do I think I will go at it one more time to make this **** run on the WMO, aka: Sludge. Not sure at this point how I'm going to go about it but while I'm doing the water pump I will have time to contemplate my plan, sadly probably to fail again.lol

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just resurrecting an old thread to see how the folks with PSD issues have fared. I have an Excursion and was doing great until I recently picked up some gear oil on accident and both my smoke and the unpleasant smell of the smoke have increased. I ran the tank dry and have put about 10 gallons of diesel through it and the smoke is starting to clear up, I'm hoping another 10 gallons and I'll be back to normal. For the remaining oil, the gear oil was inadvertently mixed into my 225 gals of fuel so now I'll have to run a diesel mix (I'm thinking 25%) whereas before I was running straight W83. I also plan on an inexpensive viscosity cup so that I can avoid this problem in the future.

Hardass559

89 7.3 banks turbo
Reaction score
idk what the percent is but i in my idi during the summer run mix in 5 gallon batches filtered thrue a golden rod fuel filter in to a 5 gallon bucket one gallon of kerosean filtered again thue the same filter and in to a fuel can and it to the truck think thats 20 percent my oil aint the cleanest in my barels but it really hasent caused a problem just killed my cheep electric pump

petie6464

Reaction score
Just resurrecting an old thread to see how the folks with PSD issues have fared. I have an Excursion and was doing great until I recently picked up some gear oil on accident and both my smoke and the unpleasant smell of the smoke have increased. I ran the tank dry and have put about 10 gallons of diesel through it and the smoke is starting to clear up, I'm hoping another 10 gallons and I'll be back to normal. For the remaining oil, the gear oil was inadvertently mixed into my 225 gals of fuel so now I'll have to run a diesel mix (I'm thinking 25%) whereas before I was running straight W83. I also plan on an inexpensive viscosity cup so that I can avoid this problem in the future.

Can you define "Doing Great" I and a several others on another forum have tried about every blend conceivable to get the PSD to run "reasonably clean" in other words a little smoke is acceptable but smoking to the point other motorist are waving at you with one finger and others just look in amazement is not considered acceptable. Save your money on the viscosity cup thats not why it's smoking.

How many miles have you ran W85 or as you wrote W83? And be honest about it.

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you define "Doing Great" I and a several others on another forum have tried about every blend conceivable to get the PSD to run "reasonably clean" in other words a little smoke is acceptable but smoking to the point other motorist are waving at you with one finger and others just look in amazement is not considered acceptable. Save your money on the viscosity cup thats not why it's smoking.

How many miles have you ran W85 or as you wrote W83? And be honest about it.

I have no problem being honest, that's why I'm posting after all so we can all help each other with real solutions to our problems.

For me, pretty good meant that I've had a few smoking issues here and there but they were quickly figured out. Whether it was running a DP Tuner econo chip, understanding that viscosity does make a difference (not sure why you disagree), adding Diesel Kleen to boost the cetane, or further refining my filtering process, the vast majority of my miles have been trouble free. I'm well within the acceptable range of smoke on my mix and aside from the smell of the gear oil and a few other times where I haven' t added enough RUG, I haven't had any complaints or remarks about the smoke.

As for miles, I've ran a tad over 20K with about 10K in my IDI and the other 10K in my Excursion. My IDI was always loaded to above 23K lbs and aside from the Eisenhower pass in Colorado, it ran great on the WMO. My Excursion has been great too, I'm frequently towing with it and this latest gear oil dilemma has been the first hiccup in a few months. What I've learned from this experience is that a viscosity cup is ESSENTIAL to absolutely make sure your fuel isn't too thick. I usually go by sight/feel but a viscosity cup will remove yet another variable.

I'm not sure why you think that a viscosity cup won't help but everyone's entitled to their opinion. My opinion is that 1) Since the smoking increased on my last tank of fuel, 2) That tank had gear oil and was thicker than normal, and 3) Past experience has shown that thick fuel causes smoke, I need a viscosity cup and should test each batch from now on to make sure I'm good to go.