Sterling trouble..

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Has the Sterling rear axle been an uphill battle for anyone else? I'm ready to launch mine into orbit -cuss

I replaced my wheel cylinders about a month ago and they're leaking again. The brake shoes are now saturated with fluid again. I'm thinking I'll go with OEM cylinders this time because I can't find anything else that's isn't hencho en China.. Between the shoes coming out of adjustment every other week and expensive leaking hub seals leaking (again) I'm starting to think I need to convert to disk brakes or swap the rear axle out for a Dana 70/80 or 14 bolt.

String of bad luck? Or are they as big of a pita for everyone else? :dunno

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
I've never had trouble with the cheapie China wheel cylinders from Advance, since whenever that was pretty much ass you could get. For the hub seals you need to run the Scotseal two piece type. The seal rotates within itself so worn spindles are not a problem (unless ridiculously worn, in which case you could probably RTV the inner portion to the spindle). Check RockAuto, it's where I got mine. Cheaper than the junky one piece from local stores.

Haven't had trouble with adjustment. When I go through a Sterling I do all new springs and adjusters. My biggest problem with Sterlings, after getting the hub seal situation sorted with the improved style seal, has been short pinions loosening and wearing splines/bearings/seals. I think they're good axles, after you put long pinion gears in and rebuild the ends with the better seals. Just sucks that every truck you touch that's older the mid 90s will need a weekend of work and at least a few hundred dollars (which doubles when you realize you may as well put a locker in while it's apart).

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
I have found that the arm that runs against the star wheel needs to be bent a little to make sure the "hook" engages the start wheel and will hold it back from backing off.....

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mines been ok. i dont think you should blame leaking wheel cylinders on the axle as those cylinders probly fit many trucks and different axles.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys I appreciate it ;Sweet

I started looking around and I think I can piece together a rear disk brake swap for around $200-$250.. I'm on the dirt roads a lot, in 4wd a lot and I have a somewhat heavy slide in camper. The performance has got to be better right? I'm starting to talk myself into it..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin