sterling axle question...

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
They are more rare than the 4.10's but they are out there. I know of one out there, it came out of a 2 Wheel Drive Cure Cab Dually diesel. It is in the process of being installed to replace a failed 4:10 rear.

Just have to keep a lookout and check the tags.....

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Hmm didn't know they where Rare.
My 86 has 3.55 gears I wanted 4.10s for hauling but you get what ya get.
Why do you want 3.55s ?

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
I've seen them, but most dually axles are 4.10:1. Not sure if there's a difference in housings/spindles or if you can swap your DRW hubs and so forth onto a SRW axle and call it a day. if you've got a short pinion axle and can't find a 3.55:1 long pinion DRW it may just be best to throw a 3.55:1 long pinion setup in yours.

As to why OP wants 3.55:1 gears instead of 4.10:1... Probably the same as me, keep a normal highway RPM and maintain MPG. I prefer to attack the problem with more power and torque. Given we don't have a simple drop in cost effective overdrive ratio of over .76:1, 3.55:1 is about it for maintaining a decent highway RPM unless you want the added expense of a Gearvendors or similar behind your ZF or cost/complexity/fab of an over/under intermediate box. For me I don't care how I get there but I want 2000 RPM or less at 70 MPH as primary goal and secondary goal is accelerate faster than everything else. All it takes it torque.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of these trucks were originally non-turbo. And most people ordered or bought a dually because they were going to haul something. You didn't get a dually for "looks" and "being cool" like we do now. A 4.10 gear is going to pull a load a lot better than 3.55's.

86ford69jw

redneck
Reaction score
Jump on it! Nice ole truck. I paid $1700 for this outta Fl a few yrs ago.

You must be registered for see images

97 F250 HD auto 4x4
3.55s turning 16.6!

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when talking pickup DRW axles (not cab n chassis) you could get the sterling first gen with 3.55's. once the 2nd gen sterling came along in '93 ford only offered them with 4.10's.i know this because i spent countless upon countless of days and hours on the phones with salvage yards all across the US looking for one.loads of yards list having them,but when actually verifying they always had 4.10's.
i had to use a 1st gen/pre '93/short pinion DRW pickup axle to keep my 3.55's this was important as i run short tires to keep the truck sitting as low as possible to load the bed,and this reduces the gearing already.would be to ******* fuel w/ 4.10s plus the short tires i run.plus i didn't want to have to change the front either being a 4wd.

so,yeah kinda rare even in the 1st gen sterling era.most of those where 4.10 too.
my suggestion is,don't buy that dually if you don't need it.the DRW is harder on fuel,more tires to buy,the ride is much firmer,the traction really suffers.if you haul heavy loads or tow a lot,it's all worth it and then some.if not,it's a lot of extra expense.

Last edited:

02x72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have one, but the truck was originally a C&C truck, not sure if they ere maybe optioned differently?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have one, but the truck was originally a C&C truck, not sure if they ere maybe optioned differently?

not too sure on that one but if your talking about your '89 in your sig,that would be pre- 93 making it a 1st gen sterling anyway,so in that case there is for sure the 3.55 option.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online