stereo upgrade - simple or major job??

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just today joined the 21st century and learned to record streamed tunes on line and am listening to some old favorites as i speak (if HHeynow is on board he will know what i am talking about when i say portland memorial stadium5/19/74!!)
So now i have to find a way to play them in my truck, which only has a beat up oem stereo that just barely works at all. I would like to get a better stereo, nothing great. Any advice? I guess the main question is how to find one that will plug into the stock wiring harness?
any help appreciated!

thanks,
Paul

FordGuy100

Reaction score
What are you recording these songs onto? Your computer, or do you have an ipod or something?

I'm about to do this in the near future, truck is up and running, its time to move and and mess up, err I mean modify something else :D. I would look at crutchfield.com. You can put in what model of truck you have, and it will list things that will fit in the locations (of like speakers and head unit) without having to modify. When you get a new head unit from them, or maybe from anybody else, they sell a wiring adaptor. So you plug one side of the wiring adaptor into your new head unit (where dial in stations and stuff, turn up the volume, that thing), then plug the other side into your stock wiring and it will all work good.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
About a year ago I went out and took advantage of a deal on a stereo at walmart. $70. Brand was VR3, it has CD, detachable face plate, remote control, reads USB flash drives, SD memory cards, and I-pods.

!!!!!!DO NOT BUY THIS STEREO!!!!!!

It stopped working very shortly. However, my firebird has a Kenwood KDC-MP435U stereo. Cost me about $160 + tax at Worst Buy. It is detachable face plate, remote control, CD, USB flash drive, I-pod compatable, and HD stereo ready. I had one little problem with it where it completely stopped working, and allthough Worst Buy's customer service sucks, Kenwood treated me right once i provided a receipt(which I had to get from Worst Buy, since I lost mine, and they dicked me around on). Overall, it has been a great stereo, and I highly recommend it, but do not buy it from Worst Buy. I also believe the price has gone down since I bought it(of course).
As far as installation, if you have basic wiring sense, you can do it.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
When you purchase the head unit remember the more you spend typically the better the quality of electronics. I typically stick with Kenwood or Alpine as these typically have really good signal to noise ratio specs, now if you really like to listen to the FM radio stations (which I don't) then I would direct you to a Pioneer because they put a little more engineering into their tuners but they lack a little on audio clarity performance compared to the others - not much but you can hear it if you listen closely.

As mentioned get the wiring harness kit for your year make and model of truck this way all you do is unplug the stock OEM head unit and then plug these in then just connect the wires from the new head unit to the wires that are fanned out on the adapter plugs and your are in business.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I've got a Pioneer that has the capability to play just about anything that is a sound file. It will play MP3s burned onto a cd.;Sweet Plus it has a port on the face that will accept an external musice device also.

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are you recording these songs onto? Your computer, or do you have an ipod or something?

QUOTE]

i just found a site that has streaming tunes available and recorded them onto a cd burner on my computer using a free program called "freecorder". I am sure there are lots of other ways to do it but i don't have an ipod, mp3 or anything like that.

paul

FordGuy100

Reaction score

QUOTE]

i just found a site that has streaming tunes available and recorded them onto a cd burner on my computer using a free program called "freecorder". I am sure there are lots of other ways to do it but i don't have an ipod, mp3 or anything like that.

paul

Alright, I see. Try to find out what type of files they are, I think there are a couple different formats for the files (like how pictures have jpe, jpeg, ect....). Then just find a head unit that can read those files on a cd, and you should be all set. If your doing this, you might wanna look into speakers, cause the stock speakers arent so good. If you do get speakers, get 3-way, or 4-way speakers, they have more treble (high pitched sound) compared to the common 2 way speakers (more bass, low rumbling sound, but doesnt give a clear high pitch notes). And like others have said, you really get what you pay for, you dont need the most expensive, but dont go for the low end stuff unless you are on a budget.

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
it is very easy go to napa and buy the replacement faceplate and oem to aftermarket stereo harness than read the instructions on the stereo and the harness my 11 yr old nephew swapped mine out in my 2000 f-250 he also did all the speakers and if you knew my family you would understand how easy it is if you can read you caqn fix anything or modify anything on these trucks

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a Pioneer that has the capability to play just about anything that is a sound file. It will play MP3s burned onto a cd.;Sweet Plus it has a port on the face that will accept an external musice device also.

Ron,
can you tell me the model number?

thanks,
paul

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
About a year ago I went out and took advantage of a deal on a stereo at walmart. $70. Brand was VR3, it has CD, detachable face plate, remote control, reads USB flash drives, SD memory cards, and I-pods.

!!!!!!DO NOT BUY THIS STEREO!!!!!!

i bought this stereo for my ranger. it was a great price, and works great, and has a ton of features. sooooooo i bought 2 more and put both in my other trucks. all are working great up to date. the one in my idi is working flawlessly.