steering shudder

96dieselram

Reaction score
i was wondering if any one would know what would cause my steering to shudder on a 96 3/4 dodge ram. what happened is i got knocked out of alignment, enough so the steering wheel was tilted almost 90 degrees towards the right, so i had an alignment done and had the steering parts checked out. the shop i took it to told me it was just out of alignment, but just before i got home it started to shudder so bad i almost lost control of the truck, i took it back they told me it was half a degree out of alignment and that it was my tires causing it to shudder. it never did this until i knocked it out of alingment, and now it pulls to the rights side too. any help would be appreciated.

Whit

Reaction score
I think yo uneed a different fron end guy.........This is called Death wobbleand is very very dangerous, it almost completley a result of the Trac bar. The wobble can't happen if the trac bar is solid and can't be stopped if it's not.

Have somebody turn the wheel while you watch the track bar ends. If there is much play at all it is ready to be repalced. There is an official amount of play, like 1/8" or somethin but I'm not remembering right now. If the Trac Bar is tight then the wheels can't wobble though. It ties both sides together and keeps the frame centered on the axle. You can get wheel play from other problems but it's different from the wobble affect.

I also recommend a steering stabilizer ................I was amazed as to what a good track bar and stabilizer did for me

sootman73

Reaction score
did you check your tires? how old are they and how many miles? if they are some what old they may have broken a belt if you hit something hard enough. see if it has any bulges in it. its a try. other than that i dont know anything about godges so if its sumthin in the drivetrain then i couldn't help ya!

62Galaxie

Reaction score
I had the Death Wobble on my 96 Dodge also. I had it aligned when I had new tires put on and it quit. It can be a number of different things, but check the track bar.

Bob