steering gear box

Jeff Dodson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anybody ever re-seal one. I bought the kit today ( $33.00 ) and was going to change the top seal because my gear box leaks through the adjuster screw. Anyway, I took the top off and guess what, I cant, because there aing a seal under there.

Anyway, anyone ever do this and how much of a pain in the ass is it going to be. I did it on a half ton chevy, but you know FORDS are always more complicated.

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sector shaft seal

The seal kit that is usually replaced is the Sector Shaft seal. It is the one on the underside.
You have to take off the pitman arm. Then if it didnt already blow out ,there is a snap ring that holds the seals in place.
The trick I have used if the seals havent blown out yet is....
Take the snap ring off and fill the power stearing pump,put a drain pan under. Start the truck and turn the wheels all the way to one side and hold it.
The pressure ou you holding the wheel one way will blow out the seal, along with all the fluid.
It is sometime messy but effective.
Usually the seals come wired together, that is the order they go back in.
Just make sure the seals are in and the snap ring is seated it not they will blow back out.
Good Luck
John

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the adjuster screw was leaking the nut was loose or possible the threads are damaged.

I adjusted one and didn't get the nut quite tight enough, it came loose and just poured fluid out of there...

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
might want to make sure things are tight, i was going to try to rebuild mine on my old 85 F250 but when i was checking it out the input was sloppy and loose along with some extra play in the thing. i broke down and got a rebuilt from a big chain place for 150 after core and did it in like 2 hrs.

sorry not much help, just a heads up. just hate to see you rebuild then have it leak again form worn parts.

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
There should be a copper sealing washer under the lock nut. If it is not there you should be able to get one at a autoparts place or even Lowes.

If any of you ever are going to buy a rebuilt powersteering for one of our rigs I would highly recommend Red Head Steering Gears in Seattle. He puts in oversize balls in the worm gear to take out the slop that is in all the stock gears. Really makes a difference.

Jim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online