Steel Tranny Lines to Rubber Lines

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the correct way to adapt steel tranny lines to rubber line? Can I use a compression fitting around the steel line to adapt it to a brass hoe barb? Or should I flare the steel lines? It's 5/16 steel line and 5/16 hose, the hose fits loosely over the steel line.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I installed my trans cooler years ago, I just used the rubber hose and clamps that came with it. I'll tell ya one thing...it's one tough reinforced hose thats for sure.

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did the rubber hose fit snug or just slide right over the steel lines? Was the rubber hose a size smaller than the steel lines?

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
When I converted my truck to run on veggie oil I replaces all the soft lines with biodiesel compatible fuel injection hose. I used high quality fuel injection hose clamps to connect the soft lines to the steel ones. I'm not suggesting this is the correct way, but has held up for two years with no drips or air in the lines.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did the rubber hose fit snug or just slide right over the steel lines? Was the rubber hose a size smaller than the steel lines?
It's been years but I'm sure the hose was the same size as the steel lines or else...I would have used a snug fitting hose. No drips and again, one tough hose cam with the kit.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i have done it both ways and i feel better about the barbs but never had a problem with the hose sliding over the steel line and a good clamp. just make sure it fits over a little snugly i wouldent trust a loose rubber hose to clamp right.

i would however add a bulge at the end ot the steel line if you can at all to give the hose some grip and make it hard to slip off with a clamp on it, basically like a fuel line on a carburated vehicle or heater hose connections.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I have always just slipped the hose over and clamped it down with a hose clamp - no bulge and never had a problem but I didn't and don't go off road, so I don't have to worry about snagging anything.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never had one come off a straight line that was clamped properly. I prefer to use fuel injection type clamps since they do not cut into the hose like worm gear ones do. (Plus so many of the worm gear clamps are now chinese and come apart if torqued).

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I decided since I spent all the time bending up new lines, I had nothing to compare them to since the previous own had just used fuel line from the tranny to the rad and cooler, and spent $50 on new oil line, 15 ft since I added a remote spin on oil filter. Might as well go all out. Got myself a double flare tool so I can flare the ends and bought a piece that has a bulge about half and inch from the end that designed specifically for rubber hose and bought the good fuel injection style clamps. And thank god its not -2 today. So in a hour or two it'll be done.

2manydsls

Reaction score
Here's how not to do it. I was adding an aux. trans. cooler to my 92 van. After the install, I thought it was a nice job. Now for the test drive. It went well for a while and then all of the sudden neutral. I was in the busiest intersection in Victorville by the mall. As I sat there with my 4 way flashers blinking and people honking and pointing at the large pool of trans fluid flowing from under my van I'm wondering what could have happened. Well after AAA towed me home, I found that on a hard turn one of the cottor pins on a ball joint rippid one of my newly installed cooler lines. So much for leaving a little extra slack on the lines.:mad: :mad:
Ross

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thamojster

Members online