Steel injector line failure. Where to get a replacement?

Greg Pettit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a hard line break at the injector pump end. I believe this was a metal fatigue issue which I may have had a hand in causing, because I left off the metal clamp that straps those 4 lines together over the intake manifold.

The result was loss of power and a major fuel leak.

Since we were 150 miles from home, I simply reversed the injecor line and attached the injector end to thepump. I then removed the fuel filter housing's return hose and clamped it on the end of the injector line. Finally, I plugged the fuel filter's return fitting.

The remainder of the drive was on 7 cylinders pulling 7000 lbs. No problem, but not optimal.

Where does a guy get a replacement hard line? IH? Ford? Has anyone heard of these things breaking before?

Thanks for any help,

Greg

suv7734

Reaction score
These guys have a pretty good reputation for service (scroll down on page for lines). Make sure you get that isolator back on because running without them will eventually cause a failure every time.

devildog88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can get a line from these people http://www.mwfi.com/dieselPage/ford_73.htm they have great customer service and they ship really fast. I think there avible from a ford dealer but there almost double the internet price. Put the clamps back on thats most likley why it broke.

Greg Pettit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome links, thanks fellas.

Now, I see the lines are sold by cylinder number. Problem is, I do not know the numbering scheme for the 7.3.

The one I need is the second from the front on the driver's side, which number is that one?

Greg

7.3shrk

You can also get the line from the Ford dealer. They had a 1 day turn around for mine. I think MWFI also has the line diagram on the site.

tradergem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cylinder numbers by Ford

Firewall
7 8
5 6
3 4
1 2

Front
Of
Engine

Hope this helps.

Jim​

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so the diesel engine cylinder numbering don't follow the one for gassers? Typical Ford numbering is as follows:

firewall
-4 V 8-
-3 V 7-
-2 V 6-
-1 V 5-
radiator

sootman73

Reaction score
guess i better put mine back on! had no idea that they did so much. thankfully i didn't throw them away!

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Dumb question, but what isolator are y'all talking about? The separator clamps between the lines?

Yes, those little flat clamps with the rubber inserts that hold the injector lines ridged and keep them from vibrating too much. Without them the force going through the lines with the pump pulses cause them to jump too much and eventually they'll crack.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The more the better. Depends on the year but they all seemed to have 3 if not 4.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Look at the intake manifold where it bolts to the heads. There you will see the cylinder numbers. Drivers side is 2-4-6-8 and the passenger side is 1-3-5-7 front to back of motor. As posted, make sure the vibration dampners are on the lines or you will be breaking more lines. I found this out the hard way many years ago and the local Ford dealership charged me almost $400.00 to replace it. That was before I found this site.... Now I laugh at the dealership as I drive by .... Looking in at all the powerstrokes in line for service....:D LOL

Greg Pettit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordered the replacement line from MWFI. Thanks for the info, and I will get the line clamps on ASAP.

Greg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thamojster

Members online