starting question

smokin_stroker00

Reaction score
Ok I need to know is there a way to pull start a auto transmission truck?
I heard if you pull it over 35mph that it will build enough pressure to turn ther motor over. Anyone ever done it or tried it?

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
impossible.....motor turns torque converter to make pressure to control trans. no pressure=no turn. You can turn the wheels all you want, but with nothing to lock the trans up, it's just going to slip inside only my 2 cents, try it if you want to haul a 6,000 truck around for fun though....

smokin_stroker00

Reaction score
troupp said:
impossible.....motor turns torque converter to make pressure to control trans. no pressure=no turn. You can turn the wheels all you want, but with nothing to lock the trans up, it's just going to slip inside only my 2 cents, try it if you want to haul a 6,000 truck around for fun though....

You are correct it will not start. The 86 truck decide it was a nice rainy night and it did want to start. Called the neighbor who came with his s10(man that sucked) he had me up to 40 mph and nothing.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, here's the deal. When auto manufacturers started manufacturing automatic transmissions (I'm talking 1930's here) they made them with a oil pump driven off of the rear driveshaft. So if you could get the car moving, you could get the trans clutches and *fluid coupling* to engage.

This design is no longer used in the vast majority of modern vehicles.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Maybe is not the answer You want, but wy not just try to figure wy it doesn't start in the first place and fix it?

smokin_stroker00

Reaction score
Exekiel69 said:
Maybe is not the answer You want, but wy not just try to figure wy it doesn't start in the first place and fix it?

the problem is the starter. The replaccement is setting here in the other truck tonight will put it on and it should start.

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
I wonder if you could use the 4x4 or transfer case to pull start instead of going through the transmission. Hubs would have to be locked in of course. Dunno if a guy could pull the shifter into 4H from neutral and maybe get her started that way.

smokin_stroker00

Reaction score
Diezel_Cowboy said:
I wonder if you could use the 4x4 or transfer case to pull start instead of going through the transmission. Hubs would have to be locked in of course. Dunno if a guy could pull the shifter into 4H from neutral and maybe get her started that way.
:***: are you talking about the transfer case goes thru the transmission so what is shifhting the lever going to get you cookoo

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
Wasnt sure where the transfercase linked into the tranny, if it was linked in the right spot in the tranny I thought this might make it possible. I dunno how the automatic trannies work so it was just a suggestion. :angel:

smokin_stroker00

Reaction score
Diezel_Cowboy said:
Wasnt sure where the transfercase linked into the tranny, if it was linked in the right spot in the tranny I thought this might make it possible. I dunno how the automatic trannies work so it was just a suggestion. :angel:
You are right the transfer case is mounted to the front of the crankshaft it runs of the lower pulley :rotflmao

I will show you where it is tonight LOL