Starting problems

JamesF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the problem seems to have cured itself.

I never got to the shop to get the codes read, so I don't know if there were any clues there. THe weather has been warmer lately, but even on the colder days it isn't having the same delay in turning over. Maybe there was a condensation problem causing an intermitent short?

Just in case you guys think I'm crazy, even my wife (who knows nothing about things mechanical) noticed the problem!

Thanks for all the help.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an FYI to add here:

A Powerstroke will not start if the batteries cannot make the engine turn a certain RPM level.

IOW, you might have weak batteries that will crank the engine, but it won't ever turn over.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Originally posted by Duke
Just an FYI to add here:

A Powerstroke will not start if the batteries cannot make the engine turn a certain RPM level.

IOW, you might have weak batteries that will crank the engine, but it won't ever turn over.

But if I read his first post correctly...........

When it's cold (less than 40 degrees), nothing happens when I turn the key for about half a second. Then it turns over and starts fine.

Cranking speed is not an issue.....It appears to be a momentary "dead spot" from when he turns the key to the start position, till current goes to the starter..clear as mudd?

I'm not up on the Stooper Doopys but my 2 pennies is on a relay....... holding current flow for that sec or 2 before sending a signal to the starter sol....

Why it appears to be temp sensetive. I dunno....when is the "boost" heater{supplimental to the GP's} supposed to energize at.could look there?

Just for S+G , have you gone directly to the starter and used a tried to start there?

There are smarter electrical guys here than me.....................

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still laying odds that it was a PCM issue of some sort.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just adding the FYI as a sort of help to anyone whjo has a truck that cranks slowly, but won't turn over.

I think he has a bad electrical connection somewhere in the starter, battery, solenoid harness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online