Starting problems

JamesF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2002 7.3.

When it's cold (less than 40 degrees), nothing happens when I turn the key for about half a second. Then it turns over and starts fine.

If its above 40 degrees, this doesn't happen.

I don't know how old the batteries are as I bought it used. Any ideas?

Swany

Consiglieri
Reaction score
how much less than 40, like in the 20's? Could be the glow plug relay, might be the batteries too...I change mine every 3 years and if your build date was late 01 it might be time

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you twist the key are you going right to start or are you allowing the GP's to cycle?

JamesF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I say cold, remember I'm in Houston - cold to us is 40 degrees. THe GP Relay is new - used the Stancor part. And yes, I let the GP's cycle.

It's not that it's hard to start, it's a complete lack of any action at all for a half a second when I turn the key.

If I let the car parts check the batteries, can they tell me if they are at 75% or 80% capacity or do they just say good/bad?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It doesnt sound like a battery issue to me, its something in the PCM telling it to not start. Even if it were batteries the starter should engage as soon as you twist the key, it would just turn over slowly. Do you have a code reader or have the ability to get your hands on one?

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try cycling the glow plugs first, then see if the pause still happens when you twist her over.

She should still try to start, but I wouldn't recommend doing it too much.

Mine starts at 40 without glowplugs, I usually wait till it's over 50 before I skip the plugs.

morepower02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
even if the glow plugs are not working it should not be dead for a second when the key is turned:( Starter relay??:confused: James you might want to have David check it out.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be something as simple as a corroded starter relay connection.

JamesF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions.

It's very consistent - if it's cold, then it pauses before turning over. I've tried cycling the GP's several times prior to starting with the same results. Once it does start turning, it starts no problem.

I changed the oil last weekend and it was down about 2 quarts from full (it was still within acceptable levels per the dipstick). Would this cause it to pause while it built oil pressure?

If nothing else, it doesn't seem to be causing any problems, so I can wait until I have to take to the shop for something else and have them look into it.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you say building oil pressure do you mean the HPOP for injection pressure? If so, no since its mechanicl and cant build oil presure until the engine rotates. Do you have access to a code reader?

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't think low oil would be a problem, even when you empty your 7.3L of oil during an oil change, the HPOP stays primed with oil.

Whenever I have any performance related problems with my 7.3's, I go straight to the fuel filter or other simple things like battery connections.

A slightly loose or corroded terminal on your battery could cause a delay in getting juice to your starter.
This happened to me last fall. I didn't really know it, but it was my batteries, they were shot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online