Starting a new E4OD

02x72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its not a new transmission, stole it out of my last truck with about 3k miles on it, but I need your guys advice on starting. Most importantly, I dont have a controller hooked up to it yet, but would it be ok to fill and start the transmission without it hooked up? Im not sure how the trans would react to that, dont want to damage anything. Id like to get it started and get the timing back dialed in and any other bugs worked out before I can get the controller, what do you guys think?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I don't know what you're asking?
Start the truck without the trans? Yes, that's fine.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Starting an engine with the e4od connected but not electronically is not an issue but. Don't attempt driving it. It will be in limp home mode and thats a condition designed to just get you off the road if trans electrical issues come up when driving. The trans will have neck breaking hard shifts timed really badly. you usually have only 2nd gear forwards and reverse. Nothing more. Just running the trans in park will not harm anything. If I'm wrong hopefully trackspeedster will straighten out what I posted. I value his e4od expertise.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Throw about seven quarts in the tranny. Start the engine and add the rest of your fluid. You can cycle it through the gears but don't drive it. Without any kind of control, you will have M1 M2 and reverse.

02x72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great, thats what I needed to know guys. I wont be moving it, just want to get the truck fired up after sitting for a few months. Thanks again!

JimRico

Reaction score
Not to steal this tread but I was thinking about changing my C6 to an E4OD. Besides getting the controller with it, is there any other changes I need like bell housing or issues hooking it up to my Xfer case? Is It worth it?

Any advice is appreciated. I hate not having OD! :D

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Not to steal this tread but I was thinking about changing my C6 to an E4OD. Besides getting the controller with it, is there any other changes I need like bell housing or issues hooking it up to my Xfer case? Is It worth it?

Any advice is appreciated. I hate not having OD! :D

Diesel spec E4 will replace a C6.

You will need a TPS and bracket, to replace your VRV. A VSS and tach sensor. Wiring will come from whatever controller you use.

You will need a four stud converter. It will bolt up to your flex flywheel.

JimRico

Reaction score
E4OD conversion

Diesel spec E4 will replace a C6.

You will need a TPS and bracket, to replace your VRV. A VSS and tach sensor. Wiring will come from whatever controller you use.

You will need a four stud converter. It will bolt up to your flex flywheel.

Great info. Just to clarify, The 4 stud converter is to connect to the xfer or is that a bell housing converter? The rest doesn't seem too bad.

Thanks for all the info. Much appreciated.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The 4 stud converter connects to the flexplate and not the transfer case. The E4OD trans will need the rear housing made that fits to the transfer case. I might be wrong bout the rear housing but someone can correct that for me. I'm really not a 4x4 person nor have I ever worked on one. Towcat will know. PM him.

JimRico

Reaction score
The 4 stud converter connects to the flexplate and not the transfer case. The E4OD trans will need the rear housing made that fits to the transfer case. I might be wrong bout the rear housing but someone can correct that for me. I'm really not a 4x4 person nor have I ever worked on one. Towcat will know. PM him.

Ahh I see. Will do thanks. Info is valuable!!!! :D