Start up issues

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
OK,
Problem# 392. The last 2 days on startup the ole gal will lite off after a couple of seconds of cranking. It will run for 3-5 seconds and then die. The fast idle solenoid is working as the rpm's are @ 1,000 . I have to cycle the gp's again and she will fire off again. This time the engine will surge, revving up 100-200 rpm's for about 60-90 seconds before she smoothes out. Outside temps are in the mid 20's during these happenings. The lift and injector pumps were replaced a month ago and this is the first problem I have experienced and am at a loss for what is happening. Any thoughts from the guru's?:confused:

Ron:D

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
What's the condition of the return lines? Any fuel leaks? What about the fuel filter? Mine had a bad o-ring in the drain valve and would let air in to the system plus it leaked a bit.

budtoh3zo

Reaction score
Thats the same as my truck, check your injectors and return lines for leaks just start it and go for a drive then look with it running

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
New injectors 2 months ago along with the return lines replaced then also. Fuel Filter has about 1,500 miles on it. No leaks seen anywhere as I have been keeping an eye on it since I completed the fuel system rebuild. It will only do this on a cold start. If I let it set for half a day or better, I still cannot reproduce the symptoms. The only thing I can think of is that I may have some bad fuel, but I get it from the same place and keep a healthy dose of Power Service in her each fill.

Ron

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Sounds like air to me Ron. I'd look carefully for some wetness around the pump or the vally pan.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Originally posted by GRuss
Sounds like air to me Ron. I'd look carefully for some wetness around the pump or the vally pan.

That is my thoughts as well.........air leaks can be a ****** to isolate. The ones that give starting issues are usually not under pressure, but rather act as a vacume break and allow fuel to leak down, allowing enough for a rough start/heavy smoke etc.....

Try placing a white index type card under the IP....I had a DIS rebuilt one leak at the bottom adv seal.got a replacment from them over night:cool

just my couple pennies

upnorth

good
Reaction score
The 6.9 that I used to have would start then shut down and after that it would start and run just fine.

I think it turned out to be a fuel pressure leak.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Update.

Got in the ole gal tonite after 48 hrs of setting dormant. It is 22 degrees F tonite and after 1 cycle of the gp's and 4 seconds of turning over, she lit right off and stayed running. Not even a surge in rpms either. I checked all of the lines, caps and even put the index card under the IP. (GOOD ID geonc, thanks) No leaks.
I am beginnig to suspect that my last load of fuel was autolite! WIF hasn't come on yet either.
I haven't had a chance to drain the fuel filter to check for water in the reservoir yet as I had to deal with the snow today and the tractor didn't want to cooperate. "Magine that she a 8N Ford. Just 54 years young.

:thanks:

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
I have some wet return lines on my truck(waiting until warmer weather to fix) and I've noticed that if I park it with the nose pointed up hill that it starts better than pointed the other way. Not sure why but it stumbles less at start up if parked facing up hill.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
:***: Must drain more fuel out and let more air into the system. When I first got the ole gal, she had some very leaky lines and was a PITA to start. That was the main reason why the po parked her for 2 years before I picked it up for $500.00 Too bad it got water in to a couple of cylinders like Mel had with Lady Moose. A little tlc , some penetrating fluid and a few words with her and off she went.:rock:
Almost a year now and was the best buy I have made yet even with her quirks. Sad thing is, I like it better than the 6.0 PSD that the admiral drives which stickered for $44,000.:eek:

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
:***: Must drain more fuel out and let more air into the system. When I first got the ole gal, she had some very leaky lines and was a PITA to start. That was the main reason why the po parked her for 2 years before I picked it up for $500.00 Too bad it got water in to a couple of cylinders like Mel had with Lady Moose. A little tlc , some penetrating fluid and a few words with her and off she went.:rock:
Almost a year now and was the best buy I have made yet even with her quirks. Sad thing is, I like it better than the 6.0 PSD that the admiral drives which stickered for $44,000.:eek:

Attachments

• p1010022.jpg
    p1010022.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 14