Start them young

bignastystacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is my two year old son Keihan. He likes to help. Loves IDI's (or at least mine) probably more than most of us.

Attachments

• keihanworkingonintake.jpg
    keihanworkingonintake.jpg
    916.6 KB · Views: 67

Black dawg

Reaction score
I came home one time to my 7yr old daughter explaining to a friend of mine how an exhaust brake works. Really cracked me up cause he didnt know, and she explained it perfectly. They can really learn alot at young ages.

bignastystacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha thats awesome. We work on alot of toys... He will have some knowledge im sure.

Attachments

• GNARLEYDAVIDSON8.jpg
    GNARLEYDAVIDSON8.jpg
    820.6 KB · Views: 28

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lucky kids :D I was raised by a single mom who was/is not mechanically inclined in the slightest...I wasn't introduced to wrenching until I was 14, and that was on a 65' boat with a 6-71 powering her ;Sweet I took like a fish to water :angel:

If I ever have kids, I hope I can give them mechanical knowledge from an early age...

IdahoHillbilly

Reaction score
Thanks for the post! I love to see little kids getting in to this stuff. I personally started tinkering when I was in 6th grade. We had an old lawnmower laying around and I just decided to tear it apart one day and find out how it worked. It's been a disease ever since. I now have 3 children. Oldest is 5 and he can tell you what just about anything under the hood or chasis of my idi is. It's a beautiful thing to watch them learn and want to help. As a 5 year old he just "tore down" his first mower engine. I will guide him in puting it back together and let him have his first "build it and hear it run" experience.

If we continue to pass these kinds of things on to our kids the future WILL be better! Video games and the like will teach them nothing of value applicable to life.

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
haha thats awesome. We work on alot of toys... He will have some knowledge im sure.

Are those bitty baby feets standind on an early Evo Softail with an S&S carb and cleaner? Man does that bring back some good memories... Not an apehanger man myself, but the rest of it looks real comfortable.;Sweet

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the cutest picture!! I agree, I was raised with no cable (we had PBS haha) and no video games. We were dirt poor, but now that I look back, I would raise my kids with similar values. My dad would give us "projects" of putting something back together or taking something apart. We would work on it all day. My first book was "The way things work".

Now the "impressive" things kids do is learn how to use an iphone at age 2 :(

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
My 3 yr old daughter loves helping me tinker on the bikes and truck. One time she was watching me re-solder and splice a fairly large wiring harness. She thought that was pretty neat and decided to help... I went to grab another cold one and came back to find her chomping away at it with a pair of dikes :eek: I didn't know whether to laugh or cry! :D

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both my daughters help me in the shop . My youngest (10) helped me part out the crew cab gasser. Everytime I was out there working, she was out there working with me. My oldest daughter ran her first bead with an arc welder when she was 8, Now she is 13. just because they are girls doesnt exclude them .

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what I did. Now both of my boys have their own IDI trucks. It's a great feeling.

bignastystacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are those bitty baby feets standind on an early Evo Softail with an S&S carb and cleaner? Man does that bring back some good memories... Not an apehanger man myself, but the rest of it looks real comfortable.;Sweet

96" S&S motor. Revtech 5 speed trans. 180 rear. Frame is an aftermarket with a bit of a stretch. About the only thing harley on it is the forks wheels and tanks. I bought the frame and wheels and have purchased everything else piece by piece. I have seven bikes of my own right now and I do side work so I have two more customer bikes getting clutches and a tune up. I write software for a living so wrenching is my release/therapy.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
words from my grandpa "I dont care what you do for a living, everyone should know how to work with their hands to make something." I have always been a firm believer in this. Their is just something therapeutic about being able to build or fix things. it also helps to teach people common sense and logic which seems to be completely lacking from most anybody at this "institution of higher learning" that I attend