Stanadyne or Howes

cahner

Reaction score
I have run stanadyne in every tank of fuel I have put in my truck since our fuel started changing.

I am pulling the pump and injectors and replacing them with a moose junior and moose misters. Which additive is going to work best?

Thanks,
Casey

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stanadyne is the best. The man that retired from the pump shop I use said if everyone used it he would have half the business.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not in an IDI but I but when my brother brought the tractor out to my place across the mountains (about 15K total combined) , he dumped some of the stanadyne stuff in and after two tanks using it he said his cummins had its balls back again. Apples and oranges I know but that's what I'll be running.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Standyne performance formula is, in my assessment, the best. However, HOWES Diesel Treat is also very good, and I always tell people with our pumps, please run one of those! If you want more power and economy, add a bottle of Diesel Max in ADDITION to the other stuff. Raises your cetane significantly.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
In my first few years of owning this.. My first diesel I ran what came out of the pumps during fill ups. I also ran Fram fuel and oil filters.......:eek:cookoo That was back in the 1990's. Now for probably 11 plus years I have been running Motorcraft filters and Stanadyne Performance Formula. Not because it is the MOST recommended fuel additive but because I know it works. I add about 3 or 4 oz per tank fill up depending on how mt my tanks are. Think of it this way. the company that designed and built our injection pumps made this to support the pumps. Who knows better what our pumps need these days with the non lubed fuels we are forced to run for the pollution....
I feel as Mel does.. Please run something. If you do not run a lubricator in the fuel you will not get the life you expect from the pumps or injectors. Its like running an engine on no oil.

killen1

Reaction score
What about archoil the guy that runs powerstrokehelp.Com bill hueit' I think i spelled it right he uses it and has customer testimonials in his vids,anywhere from the old 80s mercedes diesels to new powerstrokes. I think if I could use it for the Kubota some how I'd like to see if it reduces engine noise. But 95 bucks is a little steep.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The HotShot Secret that 79jasper mentions seems to be a really good "occasional" fuel system treatment. You might use that a couple of times a year just clean up the fuel system up. It seems to be more aggressive than DieselKleen. I wouldn't run it every tankful, but I have used it in my truck every once in while, and then run Stanadyne Performance Formula or OptiLube the rest of the time. I think the main thing is to run some kind of fuel treatment to add more lubricity back into the diesel.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Then one I just ordered is a everyday treatment.
The red bottle one says only every 6 months or so.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i just run diesel fuel.i figure if it's good enough for modern diesel engines,then it's good enough for the old idi but if its gunna mean i'll need moose ip's sooner,then so be it.id rather the $ go to Mel and Suzie than big corporations.so i win either way.:D

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm still using 2stroke oil and occasionally a shot of power service. The power service does improve my mpg and smoke

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run a bottle of diesel kleen about every other month and a shot of atf at most fill ups.

1983 f350 6.9 zf5 2wd srw single cab long bed. Facet duralift, optima red tops, bfg all terrains, 4" exhaust from y pipe back, autometer z series pyro, pump turned up 2 flats