SQUEALING!!!

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Icanfixall, I think the tensioner broke because it was the original and the truck had 260k+ when I got it. Ive stood out there eyeballing the pulleys several times and the only one thats off is the tensioner. I dont think the other pulleys are off centered but the egging you mentioned could be a possibility. How much play, or "bounce", should there be on the spring type tensioner when the engines running?

DogCatcher, the tensioner/belt have been like that since I installed them new.

Last edited:

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heres a vid. Probably wont help much. As you can see theres not that much play or "bounce" from the tensioner.

You must be registered for see images attach

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Another FWIW

These tensioners ride on a bolt shoulder/bushing. Lubricating them is what I'd call a maintainence item. I jsut went thru and lubed the idler/tensioner bearings and the pivot on my 93 F150. It's driven only in the winter and is exposed to large amounts of chemical de icing solutions (salt) The tensioner prolly has 60k miles on it. The pivot had definate drag on it. Degreasing/regreasing it made it move as smooth as silk again.

Last edited:

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Icanfixall, I think the tensioner broke because it was the original and the truck had 260k+ when I got it. Ive stood out there eyeballing the pulleys several times and the only one thats off is the tensioner. I dont think the other pulleys are off centered but the egging you mentioned could be a possibility. How much play, or "bounce", should there be on the spring type tensioner when the engines running?

DogCatcher, the tensioner/belt have been like that since I installed them new.

The PO obviously has changed this. There's no way they last 260K miles without maintainence.

You stated that the one you replaced was identical to the one that was on it? The PO might have put the wrong one on it?

It's obvious why the last one broke. All of the belt tension is riding on the outside of the bearing. It more than likely broke the stud off?

There are 10-12 differnt part numbers from Ford for belt tensioners. For different engine configs.

When I got mine from the dealership they asked for my VIN. Mine aligns up perfect.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The viedo shows the belt moving in and out so there is something thats moving around. Also the sound is more of a bearing squeal type sound than it is a belt squeal to be... Might just be the viedo but it sure sounds like a bearing...

junior20762003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate to say this but everything is new that runs on the sepratine belt within 3 months on my 7.3 and still have squeaking issues

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Hmm, neither of mine squeak/squeal. The idler on my gasser has over 240K miles on it. I just grease it every other year or so.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RANOVRU,
If I can post these pics correctly, heres the difference in the two or three types. Notice the back side of the unit. That may make the pulley "stick out" further.
I just replaced the tensioner as well and mine squeals when I get almost to 2000 rpm, then it seems like after its warm it goes away.
Jred made a comment about "old belt" I think maybe thats my problem.

Attachments

• 38123[1].jpg
    38123[1].jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 38270[1].jpg
    38270[1].jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 0

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ftwofiddy, refferencing the two pics above where exactly would you grease? I could have sworn the guy at Advance told me they werent a servicable item, although that doesnt mean a whole lot. Mine is basically like the first of the two pics to the left.

Icanfixall, the sound is definately the vid. Its pitched a lot higher in the vid. It definately sounds like belt squeal to me in person.

Again, the trucks sounded exactly like what you see in the vid since the first day I put the new tensioner/belt on, not something that just started happening. During the summer the squealing would go away once the eng got up to temp but was still somewhat random. Whenever it rained it seemed it would always squeal. But now since temps have dropped even when the eng gets up to temp it still squeals. Seems like the cold has somewhat of an effect.

Im about to the point of just start replacing stuff. Try a quality belt, one thats more than $24.99, and if that doesnt work try another tensioner.

If all else fails I guess Ill just be driving it squeaking. It hasnt affected anything else and like I said has been like that since March. I just hate being the guy that pulls up at the light with a ghetto sounding ride.

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RANOVRU,
If I can post these pics correctly, heres the difference in the two or three types. Notice the back side of the unit. That may make the pulley "stick out" further.

Mines very simular to the one on the left. The closed style tensioner on the right does look taller just going off the pic. That might be the extra 1/4 - 1/2" I need.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One question I had about these tensioners, the closed one, it has a tab or nub on the back to fit into the "notch" on the motor.
Are there two "notches" or two different tension settings?? :dunno I didn't look at mine when I installed, thought maybe thats why the squeal was happening.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Ftwofiddy, refferencing the two pics above where exactly would you grease? I could have sworn the guy at Advance told me they werent a servicable item, although that doesnt mean a whole lot. Mine is basically like the first of the two pics to the left.

I grease the sealed bearings with a hypodermic needle. I have a 8 ga needle that I picked up at walgreens. I fill the syringe with grease, remove the pulley and carefully slide the needle in between the inner seal and the race. When I get the needle in far enoug I inject some grease. Remove the needle and spin the bearing. You might have to repeat a few times. You can tell when there's enough grease in the bearing. It'll smooth out and show a little drag.