Square Stacks

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
I'm planning on running dual stacks made from 4x4 steel tubing. The crossover pipe will also be 4x4 tubing and 7'6" wide, it will lay on top of the frame rails and both ends will be cut at 45* angles. The stacks themselves will be 5' tall and made in a turnout fashion. The bottoms will be cut at 45* angles to match up with the crossover pipe. I am going to run a piece on 4" Conduit (Redneck at it's best) and some flex pipe to get the inlet to the crossover as close to center as possible. I know someone had some on their truck but I forget who it was.

What I really need some help with is how to brace them. Keep in mind that I'm not drilling ANY holes in my cab (rust took care of that for me:mad:) and I don't have a bed to mount them to.

Also, any thoughts for even smoke flow from both stacks?

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
you want mine, i will sell them to you. mine are 4x4 square tube, 1/4 inch thick. makes it easy to mount them. just drill and tap it.

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
Nah, I love fabricating stuff.

Buying them would take some of the pride out of my setup :angel:

Some pics would help though :D

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What Im wondering is how much, if any, sound difference there is. :D

My accoustical knowledge leads me to think there might me...

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
You want to make sure that the smoke flows evenly. Like mine?

You must be registered for see images attach

When you make your "Y" pipe....put a piece of sheet metal inside the "Y" so you split it in half. This will take the exhaust and split it before it even hits the "Y" and divery equal amounts out the stacks.

Pardon the crude sketch, but when I built my "Y" pipe, I cut two elbows up. Hwne I welded them together, I welded a piece of sheet metal in between (the red line) that goes all the way through the middle of the pipe. This will ensure equal flow to each stack as per my first pic.

Square stacks wold look pretty cool.....you should make a set of bull haulers to REALLY turn some heads....and have the stacks so they are not square so they are flat sided against your cab, but rather diamond shaped as seen from above looking down against the cab lol. THAT would be different for SURE!

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Square stacks wold look pretty cool.....you should make a set of bull haulers to REALLY turn some heads....and have the stacks so they are not square so they are flat sided against your cab, but rather diamond shaped as seen from above looking down against the cab lol. THAT would be different for SURE!

That would be awsome.;Sweet

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
You want to make sure that the smoke flows evenly. Like mine?

When you make your "Y" pipe....put a piece of sheet metal inside the "Y" so you split it in half. This will take the exhaust and split it before it even hits the "Y" and divery equal amounts out the stacks.

Pardon the crude sketch, but when I built my "Y" pipe, I cut two elbows up. Hwne I welded them together, I welded a piece of sheet metal in between (the red line) that goes all the way through the middle of the pipe. This will ensure equal flow to each stack as per my first pic.

I am going to use a kind of "smoke box" i think it was called. Instead of the Y-pipe I will have the tubing laid flat across the frame railsand one inlet for the 4" exhaust. I will probably weld a piece of flat metal in there like Goofy did.

The sound should be unique thats for sure ;Sweet
I'll let yins know next saturday when I hope to tackle the project.

Goofy, I was trying to find some Hexagonal pie but counldn't get my paws on any, I would diamond the but then I couldn't lift the bed without it hitting the stacks and crushing something :puke:

I am going with the bull hauler look though :sly

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Although my 4" stacks are ROUND, all the plumbing from the end of the down-pipe to each side of the truck is 4" SQUARE.

I miter-cut and fabricated a "Y" that splits toward both sides.

I made no special efforts to "equalize" the smoke from side-to-side; big trucks don't either.

I can see no difference myself.

If you weld, the square is a lot easier to work with than the round.

I just put a short stub of ROUND at each point where the square transitioned to round.

I welded hanger-tabs, plenty of them, on the top of the square.

I also drilled 1/4" water-drain holes in several strategic locations.

I have never heard or seen any negative effects due to the drain holes.
;Sweet

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I REALLY wanted to go with bullhaulers, but for the price (could only get chrome or stainless) I said no.....I LOVE my stacks painted flat black!!! Blends in with the soot.

When I do the CC truck, I might spring for chrome bullhaulers....I might even go to 5"