Specific differences between early/ late brick nose

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knew the specific differences between the two brick nose models.
Obviously the front body panels and interior is different. How much of the two can be directly swapped? Do the bodies have the same mounting points on the frame? Are the frames different? Do the manual pedals swap?
Just curious how much of a difference there really is.
I am just generally curious but also I have had a lot more luck finding early brick nose but I currently have a 94 and greatly prefer the late model bodies.

1994 Ford F250, 2wd, 7.3L IDI, NA, E4OD

2006 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer, 2wd, 5.4L, automatic

langevette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in the process of a 92 body on a 88 frame, the only differance i see the how the front bumper is mounted, theres horns on the 88 the 92 has straight cut frame with brackets welded on for the new hidden fastner bumpers

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the 92+ front bumpers almost always sag at the ends and the -91 had supports for the ends and did not suffer this problem.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pedals are different on 92 and up. They are dash specific, not body. Not sure about mounting holes... I bet you could make it work. Wing windows are different to clear the dash.front cap is different including the core support.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understood the pedals were different but didn't realize it was related to the dash

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i was going to swap to a 94+ front end on my 87, but after 25 hours of work on my hood, i think ill keep it..lol
if you're in cali or want to pay shipping, i have a 89 core support, and fenders

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to clear up your lingo a little, 87-91 most call brick nose. 92-96 (97) is typically called old body style (OBS). 80-86 is typically called slant nose or bull nose. Not trying to beat you up or anything but you get better answers if you use the right lingo. Just trying to help.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I guess it depends on what you are wanting to swap. The IDI's came in 3 different generations of truck. They were:

83-86 - Slantnose or Bullnose. That body style went 80-86, but there were some cosmetic changes in 83, along with offering the 6.9L Diesel for the first time.

87-91 - Bricknose. Trucks were basically the same the entire run, with the exception of the 6.9L still offered in early 87, the changeover to the ZF-5 for the manual, E4OD for the automatic, but a C-6 was still and option, and the change to the 7.3L in late 87 early 88.

92-94 - OBS - Old Body Style or Original Body Style. This really started in 94.5 when the 7.3PSD was introduced and it was the old body style truck with the new engine, or the original body style with the PSD. This body ran from 92-97, but only 92 - Early 94 offered the IDI, and only the late 93/early 94 had the Factory Turbo option, along with an N/A option.

Some things are more closely related between generations vs others. But, there is subtle differences in EVERYTHING between the 3, nothing is exactly the same between the generations.

For Example:

Core supports are gas/diesel specific, and generation specific. A Slantnose core support will not directly swap out with an OBS.

Everything sheetmetal and cosmetic in front of the firewall. Fenders, hood, cowl, grill, lights, running lights, bumpers, badges, etc are all different.

The cabs are the same size and same basic shape, but the dash mounts are different between the 3 gens, the firewalls are different, and on the extended cabs, the Slant and Brick have the divided extended cab window, the OBS is 1 piece.

Doors are the same size and basic shape, but the interior panels are different, the vent windows are different sized and interfere with the dash. You can, for example use a slant door in an OBS, but when you open the vent wing, it will hit the dash.

Obviously the dash assembly and instrumentation and controls are different between the 3. The way the dash mounts in the cab is physically different, the steering wheel is different between the 3 generations, and the slant/brick column will not fit in an OBS and vise versa. Pedals and pedal boxes are generation specific, as well as the clocking on the clutch master, if so equipped. You can swap them around and they will work, but the master will not sit in the correct position.

The slant bed and tailgate is completely different with different rocker panel lines, and the "chamfer" at the top of the bed is different, as are the shape of the tail lights vs the brick and obs bed. The brick and OBS beds and taillights are the same, with the exception of the 97, there is an additional "crease" along the rocker that is not on any other year.

The windshields are physically the same, but the location of the VIN plate in the dash is in a different place in the different generations. So, if you put a brick windshield in a slant, the black border on the windshield will cover the VIN because the notch in the black to accommodate this, in a different place.

On the crew cabs, the rear door are the same size and shape, but the slant has a divided window, with a small, stationary window about 1/4 the size of the opening in the front, and the rear 3/4 portion opens. In the Brick and OBS, it is 1 solid, window that opens. Before the mid 90's OBS's, and we are not 100% sure when the changeover took place, but we do know it was done by 97, if the truck was equipped with factory power windows, only the front doors were power, the rear doors in the crew cab still had a crank. 4 power windows were eventually introduced, but much less common that 2 power, 2 crank.

Now, engine parts and entire engines will swap back and forth, but 83-~91 the engine is a V-Belt accessory drive, the 92-94 is serpentine, but all the brackets and pulleys can be swapped to maintain the original setup, if you so choose.

Some interior parts will, like seats, I believe floor coverings, and things like this. The interior door panels can be swapped, but they will not match the lines of the rest of the interior.

The Slantnose trucks have a metal, chromed interior handle, the Brick and OBS have a black plastic handle. These like to break off, but the slant handle is the same size and shape and can be swapped in. I have seen this "upgrade" many times.

Most other power train stuff will swap, but there are difference there also. The early slants have a Dana rear axle, late slants, bricks and OBS's have a Sterling 10.25. But there is an early short pinion Sterling, and a late long pinion Sterling, which means the rear driveshaft is a different length.

I guess a more general answer is, you can swap most anything between generations, but, it won't necessarily be a direct, easy unbolt one, and bolt the new one on. Even the "simple" upgrade of swapping an OBS doghouse onto a Brick or Slant, is not as simple as it sounds.... and not all the body lines at the cowl will match, due to the subtle differences in generation.

I know this is a long post, but if there is something specific you are wanting to transplant, it may be easier to ask if that particular item can be swapped, or what work need to be done to be able to swap it.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol, my bad, I hadn't realized that, but I should have.
Okay, I prefer the OBS over the brick nose.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you know, i knew i had a brick nose, but this is the first time i was actually clarified about the differences inbetween the 2 trucks.
Snicklas you really really need to put that in the tech articles!!!!

for us dummies..lol

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was a great reply, snicklas. This was more of a general knowledge post. Slow, rainy day on the lumber yard. Lol
Thank you.

Giddy-Up

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Snicklas beat my too it.
I'm not sure I understand what your asking but I think you mean between bricknose 87-91 and OBS 92-97, correct? If so the bodies have identical mounting points, pedals will not interchange, beds will swap, cabs are different at the firewall and have different quarter windows. The front clips will only interchange as a unit (core support, fenders, hood, grill). The picture below shows the only difference in the frames which only affects bumper mounting or shackle reversal. I'm currently in the process of putting a 80-86 body on a 94 frame with a 87-91 interior.

You must be registered for see images attach

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been corrected on my lingo. Lol
I meant differences between Brick vs OBS. You are correct.
If I were to apply this knowledge I'd be looking to do a frame/ body swap. Such as brick nose frame under an OBS body.
However, this was a general knowledge on a boring day question.

langevette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm doing exactly that, but I intend to leave the plow frame on and maybe make a tube bumper so the differences In the frame don't matter

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
you know, i knew i had a brick nose, but this is the first time i was actually clarified about the differences inbetween the 2 trucks.
Snicklas you really really need to put that in the tech articles!!!!

for us dummies..lol

That was a great reply, snicklas. This was more of a general knowledge post. Slow, rainy day on the lumber yard. Lol
Thank you.

No problem fellas. Really sad part is, all that was from memory. I am sure I missed some stuff also. One thing is though, I am old enough (Not old by any means, unless you ask my kids..... LOL) to remember when the 80 Slantnose first hit the local Ford Lot. I learned to drive in our 83 F-150 (one of the reasons this is my favorite body style). I also remember the first 87 Brick I saw...... we were amazed at "How Different" they were than the Slantnose...... and those HUGE headlights and flat tailgate, it was like nothing we had ever seen.

I also remember some of the discoveries of the features (documented and undocumented) in the trucks. Same as you all have, like the "OH MY GOD, WHY DID MY TRUCK JUST START RUNNING HOT" issue..... in the Slantnoses.... hit a bump and it all goes back to normal..... blasted IVR!!!!!!! I also like seeing an owners heart stop on a slant or brick when they offer me a drive, and I get in an immediatly "Break" their steering wheel. I always drove with the wheel in my lap on these trucks. They just gasp and yell "WHAT DID YOU DO TO MY TRUCK!!!" I calmly answer, "It has tilt wheel"........ had no idea the truck had a tilt wheel, since it is not normally how a tilt wheel works...... But instead of this discovery being in the last 2 or 3 years, it was 25 years ago....... Dad and I have always been "Ford Guys", and between Dad and I, in all the vehicles we have owned (Easily 20+) only 5 or 6 have NOT been a Ford..... my current Jetta being one of them.... and it is the only "Foreign" car either one of us has ever owned...... Every "Truck" we have owned (4 Pickups, 2 Vans and my Excursion) have all been Fords....... and none have been a baby, or babied either.... that last one Dad got rid of was a 94 E-150 with 278,000 Miles on the factory drivetrain....... We currently have 4 vehicles between the 2 familes.... My 91 Jetta, My 03 Excursion, Dad's 08 Fusion and his 12 F-150..... if I could have gotten a little oilburner in a Ford, I would not have the Jetta.... One thing Dad and I both enjoy doing is driving through the Ford lot, and "look".... because we hold on to our vehicles for a long time.... I've had the Ex over 7 years, and he had the Van for almost 18 years......

I will try and help, and answer what I can... I've not disassembled these trucks like some on here have.... but I have been around them a really long time.......

Bit of a hijack...

I also remember when the IH Lightlines were new on the lot too......... that was the ONLY other brand I ever really WANTED, besides a Ford...... (again, back to the "Old" thing........)