Somebody please explain

Hossidi

Rollin black coal
Reaction score
Somebody please explain this water/ methanol injection.

Does it make more power?

Is it for better fuel milage?

I hear it all the time and I have no idea what the purpose is or what it does.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to put it simple: water or a mix of water and window washing fluid is fed into the intake in a mist.

this mist will lower egts, add some power if using the washing fluid. Most use it when towing or driving hard from what I've seen.

Too much will cause hydrolock but thats a given. some have said it helped clean the engine up too as a side effect:dunno

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Its primary purpose is to cool the intake air charge. The turbos that most of us have make a lot of hot air at higher boost levels- using **** injection cools the charge down drastically which allows you to push more fuel (lower EGTs).

The methanol is also a secondary fuel, but I don't think it would be prudent to add that much methanol or you will hydrolock one of these IDI's with their 21.5:1 compression.

As stated above it also cleans the carbon deposits off the internals...:thumbsup:

Hossidi

Rollin black coal
Reaction score
Would anybody recommend it? And if so, how much are we talkin about spending for it? And how hard is it to put in?

robmoore11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya if its cheaper than a turbo and gives kind of close to a similar power increase im very interested. how far up do you have your injection pump turned up hossidi? and what kind of egt's do you see with it turned up?

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can run it without a turbo too. all you need is a reservoir, pump, and some nozzels or buy a kit like from snow. water is free and a jug of washer fluid is a couple bucks versus the cost of propane. plus this isnt dangerous by itself unless you drink it whereas propane leaks can be hotLOL

Propane gives a nice boost too and can be done n/a or turbo. it helps complete the combustion process. it doesn't cool things down like **** does though

robmoore11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can run it without a turbo too. all you need is a reservoir, pump, and some nozzels or buy a kit like from snow. water is free and a jug of washer fluid is a couple bucks versus the cost of propane. plus this isnt dangerous by itself unless you drink it whereas propane leaks can be hotLOL

Propane gives a nice boost too and can be done n/a or turbo. it helps complete the combustion process. it doesn't cool things down like **** does though

how much does the water/**** kit generally cost? and pretty much with the water **** kit i can install and see where my egts are and turn my pump up a tad? :) cause thats what id like to do.

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are several MFG of kits, googel it and you can find info on both water **** and propane injection. propane makes more power, But also heats up egts, water **** makes power and drops egts...water expands alot when turned to steam this builds cylinder pressure like a steam engine. the methanol is a cool burning fuel that evaporates and cools the intake charge as it enters the cylinder. For another twist check out NOS in a diesel engine, its a cooling oxygenator that makes good power at low amounts but will kill the engine if to much is injected. How about a little bit of all of them :eek:

robmoore11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are several MFG of kits, googel it and you can find info on both water **** and propane injection. propane makes more power, But also heats up egts, water **** makes power and drops egts...water expands alot when turned to steam this builds cylinder pressure like a steam engine. the methanol is a cool burning fuel that evaporates and cools the intake charge as it enters the cylinder. For another twist check out NOS in a diesel engine, its a cooling oxygenator that makes good power at low amounts but will kill the engine if to much is injected. How about a little bit of all of them :eek:

i think all of them would be an awesome idea! if you wanted to blow the motor up :eek:

Hossidi

Rollin black coal
Reaction score
ya if its cheaper than a turbo and gives kind of close to a similar power increase im very interested. how far up do you have your injection pump turned up hossidi? and what kind of egt's do you see with it turned up?

Well when I turned it up I didn't kno what flats were, so I just turned it up what I would call an eighth of a full turn. I didn't have a pyrometer at the time. I just bought one and I still haven't installed it. It hasn't hurt it any that I can tell. Now it might have internally but It gave it a little more giddy up with a little smoke too. Now if u powerbrake it, it will flat role some coal.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Water/**** does work, but as one of our members found out the hard way, more is not better. Trav and E-1 had water/**** on the last engine that Trav put in E-1 (Yes there was more than one, 3 or 4 total I think, one - cavitation, one - threw a rod/s, and at least one that was "killed" with water/****. With the nozzle he used, you could have mounted it to the cowl and used it as a window washer..... the last day for that engine was at a rally, and he was playing with it, and went through something like 15 GALLONS of washer fluid in an HOUR..... basically hydrolocking the engine on each compression stroke, cracked all 8 pistons and started to shove the wrist pin toward the crown of the piston. This was an extreme case, but be warned.... it could cost you and engine.

Darrin has been running propane in Big Ed for years, with different powerplants.... and has success with it. He just posted about it in a thread about propane here in the last few weeks.....

Hossidi

Rollin black coal
Reaction score
Ok i got on the snow performance website and I've made up my mind. Buying the stage 3 Diesel boost cooler.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online