Some goodies that I stumbled upon

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My school has a shop for Mechanical Engineering Students to work on various projects and student activities. This is where we build our Formula SAE race car ( a scale version of a formula one car), which is deserving of a whole post in itself (on a different sub of course). Anyway, we are in the process of being relocated to the brand new engineering building, so the shop is slowly being cleaned out and stuff is being thrown away. Since the main use of the shop is for the formula car, it seems that all unkown items are by default formula car items in the eyes of the people cleaning it out. So, about a week ago, this little guy showed up amongst our stuff.
You must be registered for see images attach

It is a small single cylinder diesel engine made by Petter, an English company. I believe it is rated at 3.5 HP and 6.5 lb ft of torque, and the date on the side is 1965. I got it running, though roughly, but have yet to do anything else with it.

But that isn't the cool part of this post. I also found a J-33300 Tach n time. It seems brand new, and is in really good shape, both the magnetic probe and fuel line clamp are still sealed in their bags. Since no one else seemed to have a clue what it was, or why it was there, I grabbed it and took it home. The full album of images can be seen by following the link. http://imgur.com/a/JItg4#5Cd6RYh

If anyone has any expertise in either of these areas, I'd be glad to know more. Particularly about the tach n time, whether it is the same one that Gary uses, and if it is a good find?

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like the same meter I have! I will say you got a better price.

Power it up and see what color the display is. Red is not ideal as it isn't repairable, green is what you want, however, for the money you have in it, either way you are golden.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice score on the tach-n-time. Either way you got a deal. Also that little single cylinder diesel is really cool.

SDSU I graduated from there back in 2001. Good school.

-Jeremy

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The screen is blueish green, so I assume that's the good meter then.

And hey, SDSU huh. good deal. Were you in the ME program? And if so, does the heat and power lab sound familiar?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That is the meters I have. Actually I have the latest J33300-A meters. No matter because they all have the micro processor in them. Look at the directions for correct operation. Simply put. you clean the hard line down to bare metal and install the line clamp snug. Not gorrilla tight. then use a 5/16 drill bit to clean out the damper mag probe location. Use the tall skinny tube on the tab. then slip 3 business cards under the tab and install the mag probe till it contacts the cards. This sets the air gap thats needed. now connect the power leads. See that the meter is set for clamp and mag probe timing and press the lowest rocker switch once. the meter reading will change from SE1 20.0 to read all zeros across the display. Now start the engine and hand rev to 2000 rpm. Thats about all you do.. These meters will time by the pulse method known as the clamp method. Or by the luminosity probe if you have one or my the timing light if you have one. they are very versatile meters.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually started EE and ended up EET. Not even sure the programs still there. Now I do nothing with electrical. Should have gone ME. As I do nothing but metal stuff now days. Yeah heat and power lab sounds familiar. Campus has changed a lot since I've been there.

- Jeremy