Solution for worn ring gear

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So this will fit an idi? Cause ill order one today if it helps? Why is this bendix more forgiving?
1) they bolt up the same.
2) there's no support at the end of the shaft, so the side-side travel is greater.
caveat.......all I can do is tell you my experience. it is up to you to determine if it will work for you or not.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I ordered one and am looking forward to giving it a go. What is the purpose of the nose cone anyways? Am i risking anything by not using a starter with a nose cone?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ordered one and am looking forward to giving it a go. What is the purpose of the nose cone anyways? Am i risking anything by not using a starter with a nose cone?
all I can see on the nosecone mitsu is a very positive engagement with little tolerance for err.
the nonsupported one has more side to side yaw which makes it more tolerant on damaged ring gear teeth.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I've been reading that the pinion drive is not as deep on the psd starter, about half an inch shorter then an idi starter and doesnt engage the ring gear as well. What transmission do you have in the truck that you installed the psd starter in? SMF? Im really curious to compare when it shows up.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been reading that the pinion drive is not as deep on the psd starter, about half an inch shorter then an idi starter and doesnt engage the ring gear as well. What transmission do you have in the truck that you installed the psd starter in? SMF? Im really curious to compare when it shows up.
6.9 w/C6

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
U need a ps starter test with? Got 1 in stock used unknown condition can give whirl tomorrow sometime

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Thanks All but i ordered the psd starter from dbelectric. Should be here soon. If it doesn't work im might order the idi one without the nose cone that i posted a link for. Or do the solenoid mod as this one year old ring gear needs all the help it csn get. So...for future reference, i wouldn't recommend anyone buy an AMS flywheel when doing a SMF conversion.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Ok so this starter does not work with the idi, at least not mine. The full extension of the starter pinion gear is 2'' where as the idi starter is 2-1/2. It does not even engage the ring gear. So, the C6 that you have yours installed on must be different in some regard, flex plate or whatever. So, I'll try the 94 idi gear reduction starter now
Anyways, just thought that I would share that.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-5652-...esel-starter-f250-f350-1985-1994-hi-tork.aspx

http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-8477-new-starter-ford-van-f-pickup-truck-73l-non-turbo-1994.aspx

So as mentioned in other recent posts, the second starter that I linked to has only two mounting bolts, reducing the clamping force by 33%. But it is a 4kw motor. The first starter has the 3 mounting holes just like the factory, but its only rated at 2.5kw. Is also listed as the starter for Case 188 diesels and others, which is interesting. What one should I get? Im skeptical about the 4kw starter with only 2 bolts

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Russ @typ4 has run several of the 4kw ones and not had an issue with just 2 bolts. Many have left the top bolt out of the factory style and not had an issue either.....

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
You are spending a lot of time and $ on the starter when the real problem is now the ring gear. Since the starter has begun to grind, that means that four distinct spots on the ring gear are worn down. I had a relay setup like you describe, although my relay interrupted the positive battery cable an was mounted next to the battery. I used a simple push button under the dash to energize the solenoid and bendix. Once that was done, I just turned the key to start. The starter motor does not care where the pinion is when the motor is energized, it develops full torque instantly, anyway. The side benefit was that if you did not know about the two step starting process, you could not start the truck.

The ring gear is easy to remove and replace and you don't even have to buy another, although they may still be available ($60 in 2009). Just rotate the gear about 20-45 degrees before reinstalling and you will have new teeth to grind up.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
This flywheel and ring gear was put in last year. The ring gear is facing the right way. So there must be something going on here, wearing out a ring gear in a year is NOT normal. Nor is it common for someone to have to do a solenoid mod. Im trying to get the right starter and a good starter in there first and go from there. I am spending a lot of money on starters at the moment, only due to false information though, or my misunderstanding of the correct information. I have not purchased the "right" starter yet. That's why im looking for starter advice. I have now ordered that 2 bolt, 4kw, no nose cone starter for the 94 idi. The one that others have apparently had good luck with. I will see how it reacts with mine. I will cut my losses and move on once I get the right starter; and a starter that I know is working well for others. The fact that it started grinding occasionally only maybe 1000 miles after I installed it, along with the clutch and ZF swap on a 6.9; makes me think something isn't matched up right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigal093

Members online