So where do you get a descent injection pump at ?

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had one on the truck when I got it, it died pretty quickly, say within a few hundred miles. Got one off ebay for about $400 and it lasted about a split second longer than the first one. Fixed that one by repairing one of the solenoids, lasted about another hundred miles and died again, this time due to a broken shaft.

And now I'm in the market for a IP that actually works. Any ideas ? I recall the moose pumps were all the rage around these parts, are they still available ?

tapdancewilly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For a basic pump Pensacola diesel is who I ordered mine, from they are a good company.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had one on the truck when I got it, it died pretty quickly, say within a few hundred miles. Got one off ebay for about $400 and it lasted about a split second longer than the first one. Fixed that one by repairing one of the solenoids, lasted about another hundred miles and died again, this time due to a broken shaft.

And now I'm in the market for a IP that actually works. Any ideas ? I recall the moose pumps were all the rage around these parts, are they still available ?
You will want to contact Mel at Conestoga Diesel www.conestogadiesel.com and he will be pleased to help you out with a good pump, he is the God Father of Moose pumps!

For a basic pump Pensacola diesel is who I ordered mine, from they are a good company.

Clearly you have not gone through the hall of shame, they are not known for a good pump, often less than what people had installed on their truck previous to the one they bought...

Just saying if you got a good one your lucky, but good for how long is really what counts, maybe it's just good cause it was cleaned and painted who knows.

JM2CW

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Pensacola is not known for building any quality injection pumps. One of our members needed 3 pumps before he got a fair pump from them. Now if it takes them three trys to get it right I suggest passing on them because of the printed words found here. Mel at conestoga diesel has the best pump going. If you want to break it down into stages I can. The Baby Moose is the stage 1. Its a stock pump that rebuilt with only Stanadyne parts. Then there are 3 more stages of pumps to choose from. Calling and talking to them is your best bet. They are an honest family run business. Out here on the west coast we have typ4 aka Russ. He can get you a great pump thats not a "painted rebuild" like many of the ebay sellers as you have found. Very sorry your finding this out after spending so much money worthlessly. It gets expensive. Had you bought a Moose pump you would be happy and running better than most trucks these days.

tapdancewilly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmnn strange! They treated me well! Looks like I won't be buying from them again haha!

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pensacola rings a bell, I think thats where I bought the one that died on me.

Dieselcrawler did provide us with the forum, and sounds like he'd love to sell a me an IP. OK so its a 1990 7.3 IDI in a F250 thats been kicking my ass thus far. I gotta admit I'm typically a fair hand with a wrench but, not this time around apparently. Its been two steps forward and one step back the whole way.

What do you want for an IP and how does it stack up against our man Moose ?

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
you read wrong. lol I said MEL! as in mel from conestoga. my pump is from him. love my moose pump.

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahahahahaaha well OK then, but i'd a bought one from you :rotflmao

So Mel it is then, Thanks guys.

I've got a long way to go on this vehicle. New springs are next, after the pump. One of the fuel tanks sprung a leak just sitting there, and today one of the brand new tires went flat. Oh well I'll just keep fixing stuff and see if at some point this thing eventually runs.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
No matter how many things break down on your truck. what you spend in a month is much less than a payment on a new rig. and you can choose when you spend money on your truck. Can't do that with a payment rig.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmnn strange! They treated me well! Looks like I won't be buying from them again haha!

They will treat anyone willing to buy well..it's how well the damn pump is or how long it lasts...

Better to spend a bit more and get a known quality pump, than have to redo it 2 times...like the OP in this thread..

Each time that pump comes off, is more down time and problems, retiming etc how much is doing a job once worth compared to over and over with down time for shipping and phone calls etc.

LOOK in the HALL of SHAME and *** and Tech section for tons of info...READ READ READ...before you spend...read read read before you DO any service...learn...gain knowledge and empower yourself with it to make informed choices! Learn by what others have learned, no need to make the same mistakes others have right??????

JM2CW

F-SERI-ouS

Reaction score
what he^^^ said! i have the moose jr. and my truck runs excellent. i was having issues before with losing pressure, and this pump not only fixed that, but i got a noticable "seat of the pants" performance improvement, not to mention i can still get 18+ mpg at a thrift 75mph.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
In 2009 driving home from the 2009 rally in Ky I got 18.9 mpg average doing 75 to 85 miles per hour. Heres the dash telling this. I run a Moose pump with 3:55 gears and a Gear Vendors overdrive behind the BTS built E4OD auto trans. Take note of the rpm at the speeds I have shown.

Attachments

• DSC00194.jpg
    DSC00194.jpg
    416 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC00195.jpg
    DSC00195.jpg
    410.2 KB · Views: 11