So what's the hot power combo?

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My numbers are with just Moose fuel and a Banks turbo with the wastegate unhooked. No studs, actually, I just reused the old headbolts. Nothing internal is modified at all. Stock compression ratio is the likely reason for the high torque. You start droppping the compression you had better have a ton of fuel and a better turbo than your standard Banks, Hypermax, or ATS.

Heath

That's good to hear, I didn't know if there were any internal mods to your engine. I'm wondering if my dad's truck has a monday pump on itLOL

Mel, do you have any insight into the IH version of these injection pumps? I posed a couple of questions in a post above, any comment?
Travis..

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
the only time I was unhappy with the power of the 7.3 was with the c6.
That was just issues with any old automatic.

Mel, I actually do change my ip/injectors every 50k miles.
It is a wear part.... simply put, I don't care how well you build them they wear out.
When I was in business I changed them every 18months, now its looking more like it would be every 5-6 years if done by miles.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update on dad's truck

I camped with my dad and family over the weekend. He is back from his cross-country trip, only problem was one dead alternator. Aside from that, no issues aside from the fuel economy being terrible and the thing smoking like a locomotive. So, I turned his pump down one flat to cut the smoke back and add some economy, but now he's unhappy with the power:dunno I need to take a good look at this thing and see what injectors it has and if anything else is out of whack since I last saw it. It would be nice to have some power and low smoke. I may have to investigate an intercooler for this thing. On the up side, we both rolled by an idi that was towing a travel trailer down I-5 at 54 mph like he was standing still;Sweet I wish he lived closer so I could experiment with this damn thing:rolleyes:

Edit for more info: The low power was felt between Yreka Ca, and Redding Ca. With his 4x4 Kawasaki Prairie on the bed and approx 5k lbs travel trailer in tow, he was down to roughly 40 mph on the bigger hills. He was confident that had the fuel been left alone, there would have been no way for me to catch him (or see him:rotflmao) His MPG was 10 on that stretch, which he feels is up from what it was getting.
Travis..

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how much different the injection pump is between the lower rpm international pump and the Ford pick-up pump? I know the torque on these engines drops off quite a bit past 2500 rpm or so. Do the IH pumps have a better/different timing curve? It seems to me the extra rpm of the Ford pump is a waste since it puts you waayyy past the torque. I know the IHs have deeper gearing, but I've heard guys say that their big, heavy (comparatively) medium duty IDIs hold their own in the hills. You would think that the same basic engine in a lighter pick-up (again, comparatively) would really do a good job towing up grades. Any thoughts?
Travis..

I'm sure there is a different calibration spec, but then the IDI in an S series chassis has a radiator that is about 5 times as big as ours, and an air cleaner big enough to use as an ice chest. I've driven one, and the truck is pretty much designed so that you just hold your foot to the floor and it turns 2700 RPM all day long. The Clark 5 speed had 5 gears. All of them low. LOL I think the GVRW was 26,000 pounds, and I'm sure it would move that much, but not very quickly. You could put a IH pump on your IDI, but in all honesty, I don't think you would like it very much.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I'm sure there is a different calibration spec, but then the IDI in an S series chassis has a radiator that is about 5 times as big as ours, and an air cleaner big enough to use as an ice chest. I've driven one, and the truck is pretty much designed so that you just hold your foot to the floor and it turns 2700 RPM all day long. The Clark 5 speed had 5 gears. All of them low. LOL I think the GVRW was 26,000 pounds, and I'm sure it would move that much, but not very quickly. You could put a IH pump on your IDI, but in all honesty, I don't think you would like it very much.

Mel, Your observations are correct. I used to take care of a fleet of buses with these engines back when they were new and that is exactly how they behave on a whole. They were extremely powerful and would outrun the cummins equipped rigs on a hill every time, but your observation about rad size is important, you start getting a LOT of waste heat when pulling like that and without the cooling system to match it would likely be playing with fire. It might be interesting to try anIH spec pump sometime . With my cooling system it might handle it, and with the double OD I have now it wouldn't chop me off at the knees running empty

yotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I camped with my dad and family over the weekend. He is back from his cross-country trip, only problem was one dead alternator. Aside from that, no issues aside from the fuel economy being terrible and the thing smoking like a locomotive. So, I turned his pump down one flat to cut the smoke back and add some economy, but now he's unhappy with the power:dunno I need to take a good look at this thing and see what injectors it has and if anything else is out of whack since I last saw it. It would be nice to have some power and low smoke. I may have to investigate an intercooler for this thing. On the up side, we both rolled by an idi that was towing a travel trailer down I-5 at 54 mph like he was standing still;Sweet I wish he lived closer so I could experiment with this damn thing:rolleyes:

Edit for more info: The low power was felt between Yreka Ca, and Redding Ca. With his 4x4 Kawasaki Prairie on the bed and approx 5k lbs travel trailer in tow, he was down to roughly 40 mph on the bigger hills. He was confident that had the fuel been left alone, there would have been no way for me to catch him (or see him:rotflmao) His MPG was 10 on that stretch, which he feels is up from what it was getting.
Travis..

travis
if you are interested in a type4 cam local, i have one i bought and is still in the box, that i would sell to you for what i bought it from russ for. you would just have to send him your dads old one.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Yotee, I'd be interested in the cam if it were my truck, but I don't think the old man is gonna go for tearing into the engine that deep.

We had lunch today, and dad was talking about hitting up the guy who owns BullyDog to see if he had any dealings or past experience with the IDIs. They are local, and I'm sure my dad has coffee with him from time to time. I did suggest to him that he should have the truck dyno'd for a baseline to see what and where it's making power right now. He also asked me if anyone makes performance injectors for the IDILOL This is something new coming from my old man, he usually isn't keen on modifying something if it is a runner. I also made mention that an intercooler might be a good addition, and he didn't scoff at the idea. I'll have to see where this all goes:D

As for the IH pump, I'd love to try one just to see. I doubt there'd be a heating issue if the truck was used in the same manner as it is now. This truck has a new large radiator in it so it runs cool when you work it.
Travis..

cetanefreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you mean the guy that owns your local BullyDog dealership? the guy that owns Bullydog itself is a fair distance from you.

edit: I see where you posted he lives right near them, I grew up in that town and I don't recall them ever playing with the IDI's other than adding a propane injection system to them. has his timing been set? I still get over there from time to time if I can help in any way.

Last edited:

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, dad lives in Aberdeen. I said the exact same thing about the propane, but you never know unless you ask. At the very least, he can have it dyno'd to get a baseline. I think I'm gonna go up 1/4 or 1/2 flat and see what that does. I'm gonna make sure his air filter is clean and the little deflector plate that blocks direct grill air from entering the snorkle is gone before I do it.
Travis..

Cetanefreek, turn on your *** if you don't mind, I'd like to chit chat and don't want to muddy the board with conversation.

colombo94

Reaction score
Yup, dad lives in Aberdeen. I said the exact same thing about the propane, but you never know unless you ask. At the very least, he can have it dyno'd to get a baseline. I think I'm gonna go up 1/4 or 1/2 flat and see what that does. I'm gonna make sure his air filter is clean and the little deflector plate that blocks direct grill air from entering the snorkle is gone before I do it.
Travis..

Travis do you by chance mean aberdeen idaho wich is were bully dog started and is based out of. and if so i live over in pocatello and wouldnt mind helping out with it.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Do you know the timing is set properly? i beilieve 9.7BTDC is what most use, also if i was you/ him i would ditch the factory little scoop were the air comes in and cut you radiator support some with a sawzall and find you a big scoop and aluminum ductworking and make you a ram -air you may not beilieve me but a good large ram-air makes a night and day difference,

Also pull the injectors have them pop tested, any idea if the IP has been replaced?

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Travis do you by chance mean aberdeen idaho wich is were bully dog started and is based out of. and if so i live over in pocatello and wouldnt mind helping out with it.

Yup, Idaho. I'll PM ya.

Do you know the timing is set properly? i beilieve 9.7BTDC is what most use, also if i was you/ him i would ditch the factory little scoop were the air comes in and cut you radiator support some with a sawzall and find you a big scoop and aluminum ductworking and make you a ram -air you may not beilieve me but a good large ram-air makes a night and day difference,

Also pull the injectors have them pop tested, any idea if the IP has been replaced?

I did pull the little plate off that covers the air tube opening, it had to help some but don't know. I cleaned the air filter, it was filthy after his cross-country adventure. We checked the timing down at Towcats meet-n-greet, it was 9 on the button. This engine is a complete drop-in reman with about 50k on it now. I'm thinkin' it might need a blue-printed inj pump and fresh injectors.
Travis..

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a closely held secret that I have been doing for some time. I have a total of four motors in service with these rings installed. the oldest has 150k on the ODO. no blowby yet;Sweet they are a ***** to put in though.
Basically my vote is for the setup Justin has mentioned plus Total Seal rings.
here's the specs.....
Part Details
Make FORD-LINCOLN, Mercury Model 445CI NAVISTAR DIESEL NON-TURBO, SPECIAL GAP 2ND RING .062”-.072”
Part Number S1474 Available Sizes STD 20 30 40
Dimension Details
Bore Inch 4.110 Bore mm 104.394
Groove Sizes 3.0 2.0 3.46 TSD Cylinder 8

Price $ 408.20
Also Fits
Make Name VehType Make/Model Litre Year Bore Inch Bore mm Groove Size PistonFitment Gapless Top Ring Gapless 2nd Ring Conv Ring Oil Ten Use Available Sizes
FORD-LINCOLN, Mercury Car 445CI NAVISTAR DIESEL NON-TURBO, SPECIAL GAP 2ND RING .062”-.072” 7.3L 89-95 4.110 104.394 3.0 2.0 3.46 TSD S1474 C1474 STD S STD 20 30 40

http://www.totalseal.com/PartDetails.aspx?From=Application

I have used total seal in 2 idi builds. They helped allot. Also even after high miles the intake tract was a ton cleaner and the motor still ran strong.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online