So what's the hot power combo?

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With hesuttons 204hp, 461tq numbers, what is the hot combo to have? Looking at the numbers posted in the sticky, hp ranges from 140-200, and tq from 300 to now 461. Where does this huge disparity come from? Is it just pump and injectors, or more? Has Russ ever dyno'd his truck? From Calvins description it should be making some decent numbers as well. It would be nice to have a good idea of what it would take to make some decent power and have it liveable/streetable without smoking like a steam locomotive. What say everyone?
Travis..

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Russ's truck pulls good and wasn't bad with smoke when yhe turbo was spooled up. But he has a stock pump turned up us all.

Right now for streetable a solid IDI motor, torque cam, moose goodies, turbo and intercooler would be where it's at

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a closely held secret that I have been doing for some time. I have a total of four motors in service with these rings installed. the oldest has 150k on the ODO. no blowby yet;Sweet they are a ***** to put in though.
Basically my vote is for the setup Justin has mentioned plus Total Seal rings.
here's the specs.....
Part Details
Make FORD-LINCOLN, Mercury Model 445CI NAVISTAR DIESEL NON-TURBO, SPECIAL GAP 2ND RING .062”-.072”
Part Number S1474 Available Sizes STD 20 30 40
Dimension Details
Bore Inch 4.110 Bore mm 104.394
Groove Sizes 3.0 2.0 3.46 TSD Cylinder 8

Price $ 408.20
Also Fits
Make Name VehType Make/Model Litre Year Bore Inch Bore mm Groove Size PistonFitment Gapless Top Ring Gapless 2nd Ring Conv Ring Oil Ten Use Available Sizes
FORD-LINCOLN, Mercury Car 445CI NAVISTAR DIESEL NON-TURBO, SPECIAL GAP 2ND RING .062”-.072” 7.3L 89-95 4.110 104.394 3.0 2.0 3.46 TSD S1474 C1474 STD S STD 20 30 40

http://www.totalseal.com/PartDetails.aspx?From=Application

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have heard good things in the past about TotalSeal rings. I'm kinda more interested in what is the hot ticket for everyone with a complete running truck to get decent towing power and economy. I like Heaths torque number, it is quite a bit higher than the other turbo IDIs on record here, why? Bigger torque is what would interest me;Sweet My old man is on his road trip and is still complaining about the fuel economy (or lack there of). I really feel that if there were more grunt, the economy would come up. Even with his wastegated turbo it doesn't feel like it pulls as hard as it should, it seems to bog down too easy. I'd like to try something to get the power up, but I fear it's gonna cost a bunch of money. The old man hates spending money to fix things that don't seem broken if you know what I mean LOL There seem to still be lots of posts of "my truck seems really low on power", and some guys say their truck is akin to a freight train (as much as an IDI can be). I want to know what the difference is, why are some trucks enjoyable and some not so much when running basically the same combo?
Travis..

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I think the major thing is how up to par the fuel system is. Fresh IP and injectors properly timed will net a decent amount of power

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
IIRC heaths engine is just a pretty much stock rebuild, with studs and a banks turbo moose pump and injectors, not really a hole lot done and it laid some good numbers down,

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have heard good things in the past about TotalSeal rings. I'm kinda more interested in what is the hot ticket for everyone with a complete running truck to get decent towing power and economy. I like Heaths torque number, it is quite a bit higher than the other turbo IDIs on record here, why? Bigger torque is what would interest me;Sweet My old man is on his road trip and is still complaining about the fuel economy (or lack there of). I really feel that if there were more grunt, the economy would come up. Even with his wastegated turbo it doesn't feel like it pulls as hard as it should, it seems to bog down too easy. I'd like to try something to get the power up, but I fear it's gonna cost a bunch of money. The old man hates spending money to fix things that don't seem broken if you know what I mean LOL There seem to still be lots of posts of "my truck seems really low on power", and some guys say their truck is akin to a freight train (as much as an IDI can be). I want to know what the difference is, why are some trucks enjoyable and some not so much when running basically the same combo?
Travis..
travis-
age of the motor and more importantly, the condition of the injection pump and injectors. unlike computerized trucks where the wear can be compensated for, that is not so on our IDI's. Our injection pumps will still do their job, but if you follow a sick truck, the exhaust will have your eyes watering. also, your mileage will be 8-10mpg if not worse.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My actual price for the rings is a little less, but before you scream, take a look at who is endorsing this product. bottom line, if you are going for a full-on rebuild, I'm going to make it hurt. but you will get a product that is better than 95% of the stuff out there. The last 5% is someone who has spent more. My mentor years ago, was a old german guy who built sprint car motors for most of the teams in the SF bay area. The six years I worked under him yielded a engine machining education that could not be bought. These days I poach on two of my friend's engine machine shops when I need to build a motor. It doesn't happen too often, but when I do get done with one, the owner is one happy SOB. That's good enough for me.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
noone really has done a lot tothe truck most dont internally modify the motor and cr is just shaved pistons turbos help but you can only do so much without studs so its a building case where more makes more and like mentioned before if someone had money to make a 500 hp 1200 trq motor they would just buy a new truck

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I hear ya on the fresh fuel system, but his is about 40k miles fresh. I'm gonna see the truck over Memorial Day weekend, I am gonna have to see what injectors are in it. I really hope the injection pump isn't iffy already. The PO used stanadyne in every tank. I would just like to get this thing to pull harder. He lives right near BullyDog, maybe he should have them dyno it to get a baseline and go from there. The truck really seems like it should have more power than it does given what's been done to it.
Travis..

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow if a fresh fuel system really makes as much of a difference as yall say, I cant Wait. The stuff on my truck is so freakin old, and only a few injectors match. I have almost all of em LOL

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Wow if a fresh fuel system really makes as much of a difference as yall say, I cant Wait. The stuff on my truck is so freakin old, and only a few injectors match. I have almost all of em LOL

A fresh fuel system make a huge difference!;Sweet

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have been reading all this and there is something important that hasn't been discussed yet...... Reduce the internal drag.... That means line boring or honing the main bearing webs. Then boring the cylinders true to the crank center line... Then decking the block so all the pistons are balanced above the block the same amount. Now balancing the rotating parts is a must do... If anyone has ever pushed out a precup and looked at how ruff cut the precup chambers in the head is you would be shocked. They all need to be the same size and polished up. Don't try to open up the precup port. Only a CNC mill can do that the same to all 8 cups. I did it freehand but I had a machine called a compariter. Typ4 has one of those heads with that done to them. Then when you have everything alined, balanced and matched up will you be reducing lots of internal drag... That drag uses up horsepower. Now if we could safely run a roller bearing cam instead of the babbit pressed in cam bearings along with a roller bearing crank I bet we would have some impressive hp readings.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I don't disagree with you Gary, I'd like to know what combination of parts or what "tune" is necessary to produce good useable everyday power from a running engine (read no internal work). There seems to be a huge difference between the trucks in the sticky that dyno'd. Maybe it is as simple as quality reman'd parts, I dunno:dunno
Travis..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online