So what did you do with your truck today?

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is nothing so simple that a German engineer can't overcomplicate it. I've been driving and fixing my BMWs since '88, with a few MB diesels thrown in (until I outgrew that... and the price of diesel went higher than gas and never came back down). But when everything's working they really feel great to drive... like a high-maintenance girlfriend :sly

My vocabulary expanded a fair bit since I had a Euro model (gray-market) turbo car with the dash labels all in German :) Kuhlwasser isn't hard to figure out, but how about Schiebehebedach? cookoo (Sliding lifting roof - aka the sunroof).

You must be registered for see images attach

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had the German Diesels since 97. A 85 300D, Still have it. Now have 8 W123 & one W126.
My favorite in our 80 240D 4-spd.
They aren`t all that complicated once I figured them out. Just bought my BIL`s 82 240D.
They have great visibility, no blind spots like todays junk they are shoving on us.

Now have 2 IDI`s the 85 and 86, another learning curve. Like the MB`s, pretty simple once I learned the in`s and out of them.
The 86 is the DD.

BMW`s, I stay away from them. It`s an attitude car.

Goat

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BMW`s, I stay away from them. It`s an attitude car.
You don't say. :flipa Apparently you don't have the right attitude. Whereas in Greece, Mercedes is practically synonymous with taxicab.

I liked my '73 220D but with 60 hp and a 4-speed, it was slower than molasses. Even slower than a 240D!

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well let me share about my truck for the day, I macgyvered it home from work. That's what I did. I crunk it up and was letting it warm up while I texted my wife and as I was getting ready to go........plmp.....dead. I'm like, I got fuel, changed the fuel filter a couple weeks ago, IT BETTER NOT BE SUCKING AIR!!! so I pop the hood, I got fuel in my sight glass, so what's the deal? I turned the key on and unplugged the fuel shut off and, no click! And it's hot as fire! So I stared at it a minute and thought about it, almost "diesel down 911ed" then I looked in my tool box and had the right size torx bit(Praise God!) As well as a metal roofing screw that was a tindge too long. I nipped about a eighth of an inch off the tip and it wedged perfectly in place. I shut it off when I got home by stalling it in OD. I've got several IPs so I replaced the cover with the bad solenoid with a good one, and BAMM!!! I'm legit.

Man I love these old trucks!

Attachments

• IMG_20240323_161102.jpg
    IMG_20240323_161102.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 8

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't say. :flipa Apparently you don't have the right attitude. Whereas in Greece, Mercedes is practically synonymous with taxicab.

I liked my '73 220D but with 60 hp and a 4-speed, it was slower than molasses. Even slower than a 240D!

This is true, about the attitude.
Also knew the MB`s were used as Taxi cabs.
Morocco and other countries.
They needed something dependable. :Thumbs Up
I seem to have read mostly 240D`s?

Lincoln Mark (?) what ever number it was in 84, put a BMW Diesel in them for a couple years.
BMW in a Ford? Blasphemy...LOL

Goat

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lincoln Mark (?) what ever number it was in 84, put a BMW Diesel in them for a couple years.
BMW in a Ford? Blasphemy...LOL
yep.. the 2.4 liter turbodiesel. It was a good engine but too underpowered for the ocean-liner-sized Lincoln. The BMW 524td was only sold here on '85 and '86. Due to tightening emissions regulations (and low sales), they decided it wasn't worth supporting in the US. The last time I saw an ad for one it had 389K miles on it, still running well.
The owners of those cars knew to buy the oil filters from Ford instead of BMW. Half the price, same German part :D

Edited to add: that diesel was also the power for a motorhome called the "Vixen". Also could have used more power.

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Since I'm planning to go pick up another truck this weekend, I decided to go about getting my Blue Truck and the trailer ready. As I was driving up to my garage, I noticed a big snow drift in the street with the neighbor's car stuck in it. I locked in my hubs, put it in 4X4, and went through my big drift which wasn't half as deep as the one in the street. I wasn't going to try to drag my trailer through that drift, but since it didn't try to slow me down, I decided to try anyway. Today there wasn't much mud either. I did make it through the drift without much issue. As I was unhooking the trailer close to the street, where there was almost no snow, the neighbor's wife hollered at me asking if I could pull the car out. To say that it was no problem would be an understatement. After they left in the car, I drove through the ditch several times to pack the snow down some. This is a town that's right next to being unincorporated, but sometimes, the streets do get cleared of snow. If nothing else, he should be able to drive through my tracks by tomorrow evening. Then I managed to dig out my car ramps and a couple of tires on rims for the new to me truck. I wanted to grab a used, non working vacuum pump so that I could swap my fairly new pod onto it since I haven't ever remembered to get around to doing that yet. I saw one on a shelf and was carrying it out to the truck when I turned the pulley over a couple of times and it felt like a strong pump. I took off a glove, put my thumb over the vacuum port, and turned the pulley three more times. Lo and behold it made vacuum! I KNEW that I had an old pump that worked. For the life of me I hadn't found it in at least four years so I was starting to doubt it. Maybe I shouldn't have stuck it on the top shelf behind other parts? I'm going to put it on nd see how it does. I'll still have the back up pump and this one that I can put the new pod on so I should be fine. By this point, I was feeling like a king so I decided to head home while I was actually ahead for once. That was fine. I still have to put four new tires on the truck and dig up a couple more tires to put on the new truck (I found that out after I got home) so a short day today isn't all bad.
The picture of the street drift doesn't do it justice, but the one of the trailer beside hives a MUCH better comparison.

Attachments

• 102_4469.JPG
    102_4469.JPG
    374.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 102_4470.JPG
    102_4470.JPG
    736.9 KB · Views: 8

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Today I put on 75% of the new tires. Tomorrow's goal is the last 25%.
For a follow up on yesterday, I was right. The snow drift in the street has melted enough for the neighbor to drive through. All that needs to happen now is for him to get off of his lazy backside and walk out to the car.

Attachments

• 102_4472.JPG
    102_4472.JPG
    704.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 102_4473.JPG
    102_4473.JPG
    686.9 KB · Views: 7

lsaami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For a follow up on yesterday, I was right. The snow drift in the street has melted enough for the neighbor to drive through. All that needs to happen now is for him to get off of his lazy backside and walk out to the car.
Nice choice. I've been pretty happy with my GO15s.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That your jack isnt just sinking into the earth is a testement to your Kansas soil. I'd have to have a board under it. Nice tires!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86