So what did you do with your truck today?

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I finally moved to a home I can bring my trucks to. So first truck to come is my crew cab, which has a camper on it.
When purchasing the camper, the seller warned me to make sure the one top vent was closed and not to forget it when I parked it. He said it leaks right onto the bed and would ruin the interior.
After my failed attempt to go to the rally in new Hampshire, and the subsequent gasoline incident, I parked it, closed it up and left it at my parents' house.
When I went to pick it up, I noticed that vent was open...
Someone was sleeping in it! While it was right in front of my parents house!! Grossss

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Realized today that the batteries are showing their age after 5 years(Truck fires fast, but I can count the 3 or so revs before it fires.) and I need to do that Group 31 conversion I've been thinking about. I've had the "31" batteries for awhile now, just gotta install them.

F-SERI-ouS

Reaction score
what exactly is the "group 31" conversion?

Realized today that the batteries are showing their age after 5 years(Truck fires fast, but I can count the 3 or so revs before it fires.) and I need to do that Group 31 conversion I've been thinking about. I've had the "31" batteries for awhile now, just gotta install them.

can someone explain to me what the group 31 conversion is? this is the first I hear of it.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just another series of batteries. with benefits like Jasper said.
also has threaded posts for eye terminals, not the average lead posts.

KZF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are a little taller but I don't think clearance is an issue with most.

Mine have the standard posts.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You find these 31 series mostly in semi trucks wired in banks of batteries for higher amps and longer cranking times when needed. The rig still has 12 volts but it has sometimes 4 times the amps.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, before I made up the proper battery cables, I had the stud type group 31's with the big screw on adapters to the standard automotive tapered setup (they added about an inch in height), and it still cleared my slant nose hood.

On to what I was up to today...
Had a popping noise start about 2 weeks ago coming from what I thought was the front suspension. Spent a couple hours under the truck prying and cussing before I figured out one of the body mounts was the culprit.
So today was spent swapping the cab bushings for the Energy Suspension ones. Good write up on it in the tech articles. The core support bushings were so rusted up I had to cut the heads off with a grinder, then chop them in half with a sawzall. The bushings had been there over 30 years, and they didn't want to leave.
Got the new bushings in, then had to re-align 3 of the 4 doors - but now we're good to go.
Overall, a pretty crappy job (even with the under side of my truck being really clean), but glad to have it done.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only one short test drive so far, but can definitely tell the difference. At the same time, my original bushings were probably pretty mushy compared to what they were from the factory

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the energy suspension body mounts. I guess you could say the ride is rougher, but I know its more responsive. The stock soft rubber bushings allow a lot of cab movement, which for me was awful because I live on a mountain and the roads are all windy. Looking in the mirror while driving, I would watch the cab to bed alignment move like 2 inches each way! The stock bushings weren't rotten or cracking or anything. Once I installed the ES bushings, my truck handled way better. Steering response feels way better and more predictable. The cab doesn't move or lean side so side and it feels much tighter to the road than before.

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Hooked my new pods up. Anyone lookin for some I bought mine on ebay for 101 bucks for all ten of them.there goin on a bunch of different things
You must be registered for see images
You must be registered for see images

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Found out I need a lower passenger side ball joint and the part of the tierod that connects to the steering box.so im just gonna fix that and say screw the ball joint I'll put the money into fixing my dana 60 up.what all do I need for it.ive got the springs and i think the tie rods for it.will it just bolt straight on? And with stock dana 60 springs will it sit higher in the front with the 250 rear springs

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online