So what did you do with your truck today?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well this truck work day sure went to hell fast. My spare filter bottom was worse than what is on my truck now. So I skipped trying to change it. Maybe tomorrow its a shopping day at the yard.
Next was trying to remove the number 2 hard line. My Snapon injector line modified socket needed some massaging to fit. Sadly it was never going to fit so after lots of grinding and test fitting.. That job too went to hell but not as fast as the other job.. So it was on to replacing the pyro. I just could not get the probe pipe threads to loosen in the cast iron up pipe. I warmed it up several days ago and used plenty of Aerokroil on it. then I did that several more times when I shut down the engine for the evening. I'm the one that installed it I think but.. It may have been in there from Banks when they installed the sidewinder in my truck way back in 1998. So it was time to remove the down pipe.....:mad::mad::mad:cookoocookoocookoo:eek::eek:-cuss-cuss-cuss That right there is a horrible job but... I did install a special clamp between the down pipe and the 4 inch straight pipe. Just to make the down pipe removal easier. The u bolt clamps Banks gives us crushes the 2 slip fit pipes and then you really can't remove them without cutting. So I finally get the ******* out and what a job it was finding the sweet spot in how it snakes out.. Banks relocated my vacuum manifold so it wont melt but.. They installed it just above where the down pipe must travel. So that had to be moved. So now everything is freed up and I'm on the pipe fitting that holds the pyro in the up pipe.. Nope.. Not moving at all. Try a lever action but nothing. Finally got a 2x4 wedged in there and it moved but so tight I can't move it any. So I hit it with a 4 lb hammer to tighten it. Sure nuff it moved easily. More Aerokroil but now it feels like its gaulded..-cuss-cuss-cuss Now I tired. Back hurts like hell and I get my propane bottle and heat the hell out of the cast iron at the stainless fitting for the pyro. More Aerokroil to cool it down some. Then pull the 14mm wrench with all my sttength. It moves. Noe I hit it back tight with the 4 pounder. Its beginning to move freer. More Aerokroil and I'm able to pull and push the 14mm wrench but still tight. So I figure go for it. Hell I have another spare cast iron up pipe but sure not wanting to remove this one and install that one.. Just too worn down. But the stainless fitting begins to loosen and I finally get it out.. Nothing appears wrong like swollen or blown apart but nearly 350,000 miles of hard use. Used some NL 100 nuclear grade anti sieze left over from my nuclear work experience.. We wont be talking about that ever. New one fits nicely. Install the down pipe and the lower clamp. More anti sieze on the top v clamp to turbo. Adjust everything and I'm finished for the day but am sure hurt bad. Taking some 800 mg of Motrin right now but probably will be needing something stronger later tonight. Life sucks when your hurt and older than you remember.. Hope everyone got a laugh from my troubles today. This was not my idea of fun work by far...

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that Gary. When I pulled the one out of my up pipe (a banks sidewinder also) I couldn't get it with the breaker bar (wires were already cut off) so I ended up putting the air impact on it and it still fought. The probes go bad pretty rarely. Why were you swapping it?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
If it gave me that much trouble, I'd say f it, and just drill/tap in the drivers Manifold. Lol
Way easier than all that jazz.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took my truck and camper to the Upper Peninsula this weekend, a 1000 mile round trip from my neck of the woods. The truck handled it well, and I managed about 15 mpg on wvo over the course of the trip. Pretty dang good.

The only downside to the whole ordeal was getting stuck in some wet grass at the cabin this morning as we were getting ready to leave. The mother in law had to pull me out to the main road with her f150. Dang 2wd....

Sent from my LG-VS985 using Tapatalk

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow...Gary that sure sucks balls...

Sounds like you made.out like a champ though.

Do tell us more about nuclear anti sieze??? Where can a guy get a bottle..

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that Gary. When I pulled the one out of my up pipe (a banks sidewinder also) I couldn't get it with the breaker bar (wires were already cut off) so I ended up putting the air impact on it and it still fought. The probes go bad pretty rarely. Why were you swapping it?

I changed the probe because the gauge was not reading temps. I checked all the connections and found they were fine. It is no sudden surprise. On one of my Calvin gtg bar b ques I did not have a pyro driving home till I got to my refuel stop at the 152 & 5 fuel station. After that I had good pyro reading all the way home. Ever since then my pyro has been suspect. It finally quit working all together about 2 months ago. I have not hauled anything so I was "watching & waiting" for it to magically start working again. Found a pyro for 63 bucks on ebay so I purchased it. It is an actual Banks pyro too. The seller was about 20 miles from me but in a bad town. so for 7 bucks shipping I figured it was worth it. Turns out it was shipped from near the Mexican border town of Santee. No chance in hell I was traveling "down there"....
Yes... This pyro fought me every turn of the wrench but I finally got it. As for drilling and tapping another hole.. Nope. That was not an option because where it is now is the best place for it. the up pipe cast iron manifold gets both cylinder banks of exhaust. Its about 4 inches before the actual hot side of the turbo. I may loose a little heat because of the thin crossover pipes under the engine but I do not feel thats any issue. I can always wrap some header wrap on that pipe and gain some heat. But am just too lazy for that.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Removed 1 steering box from parts truck...DOES NOT LOOK LIKE A LEAKER:hail but no way to tell till swap it in. Fluid was decent too so will do the flush quick and then install in my truck right quick as I await a delivery of a drum of TDH Tractor Hyd Fluid.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Swapped in box...seems not to leak YET LOL

Finally TDH arrived and unloaded...

Drove truck seems gooder LOL

Now down at park w Sberydan playing ball

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Am just in coast mode now.. Dinner is over and ALL CLEANED UP.. The wifey can't seem to master cleanup after anything she does. Just dreaming of some Cord parts I found on ebay. Don't need them but sure want them just the same. One can never have too many spare parts.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am just in coast mode now.. Dinner is over and ALL CLEANED UP.. The wifey can't seem to master cleanup after anything she does.
:rotflmao

Just dreaming of some Cord parts I found on ebay. Don't need them but sure want them just the same. One can never have too many spare parts.
can see @icanfixall -Drool over cord parts..makes me wonder what his cord stash behind seat looks like:sly

Well drove to Penticton yesterday to assist a very attractive single womam move...:D:rotflmao and rechecked PS reservior and much to my surprise it was it was exactly where it should be...FINALLY all leaks accounted for.

Not only were my previous boxes leaking but a guage on the filter was Kaput and leaking so the 1/8 pipe plug resolved that pronto.

Steering is decent little to no whine...

That is about 2 gallons of TDH passed through pump filter cooler and 3 boxes...now I am on box 4 which is tight and non leaker.

Now to get a box torn down ported and resealed.

Same with a pump...lest I can saginaw this beast...

That was end of yesterday.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cleaned my headlights today, they were getting a little cloudy so it was time.

here are some before and after pictures, there are also some pictures of the tools/supplies I used.

You must be registered for see images attach

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Got the other up pipe in from hypermax today. Don't ya just love when the ups guy knows who you are from comin to you house so much he just stops wherever he sees your truck in town[emoji23] they've been to my house everyday for the last 2 weeks with stuff for me lol. Hopefully I'll get the turbo on tommorrow if I have all the parts for it I think I do but I'm not sure and hopefully I'll get the Dana 60 on in the next couple weeks

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
What's this talk of porting steering gears and pumps? Are there restrictions that if cleaned up improve performance and heat the fluid less? I'm interested. PS disappears with wider tires on a long truck moving trailers in tight spaces. Adding a cooler helps but it still fades a bit sometimes on hot days.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's this talk of porting steering gears and pumps? Are there restrictions that if cleaned up improve performance and heat the fluid less? I'm interested. PS disappears with wider tires on a long truck moving trailers in tight spaces. Adding a cooler helps but it still fades a bit sometimes on hot days.

Porting is just drill and tap for a ram assist steering...but...one needs pressure and volume for hydroboost brakes power steering and ram assist...hence why I have added good sized cooler and large spin on typ filter.

rwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Timed both trucks, both relatively new to us, thanks Gary! 93 was just left of line 1/16" as per Mel, was running ok about 1k since new pump and injectors both Conestoga, that mark was 5 btdc, moved to 8-9 btdc and installed new TCM, truck has 90 k and believe tcm was orig,as was pump/inj. noticeable improvement in shifting and engine snap, previous mileage before time, solid 12-14 mpg 4:10 gears, most around town.
87 dump, was timed at 13-14 btdc, about 1/8 left from timing mark, reset to 8-9, ended up back on timing mark! (unknown pump age) haven't driven it yet since re-timing, got to do something with CDR and leak at rear axle.
Otherwise it was running and starting well, all we did was a new fuel line return kit, driven it about 5k at 13 btdc, (even in two single digit Mi winters), dont keep mileage info on it yet, lots of blowby and uses oil well so life expectancy is unknown, hauls a load well 3-5k at top speed of about 50 4:10 gears also, also needs a fast idle solenoid and tach dont work, sensor maybe?
Previous owner took good care of it, just needed a larger truck (more power).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Staff online