so i got this for free

diesel4me2

Camping is more importanter!
Reaction score
today, from my father-in-law. i don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing yet. because now i have it and that means i have to do the work from now on.... now how long do i need to keep the system at -28hg before i fill it?

Attachments

• gauges.jpg
    gauges.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 20
  • -28.jpg
    -28.jpg
    364.2 KB · Views: 14
  • pump.jpg
    pump.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 19

tknomaj

Reaction score
the vacuum pump is robin air i think i have one i purchased from snap-on in 1988 and still works just fine may need oil change though as for guages check with soapy water for leaks if no leaks use them

diesel4me2

Reaction score
that reading is just the system with the pump shut off. been holding it for about two hours now. how long till i can fill it?

tknomaj

Reaction score
it is best to let pump run for up to 12 hours if you have not replaced accumulator-drier assy that way no moisture will be present in system other wise moisture and r-12 or r134a becomes hydrofloric acid and that will do your system no good

diesel4me2

Reaction score
will do.... what kind of oil does the pump need? i have no manuals with it. just put in some synthetic 5-30

tknomaj

Reaction score
no the oil required is avail from a a/c supplier it is vacuum pump oil and remove or do not use synthentic 5-30 you will ruin pump and require rebuild

tknomaj

Reaction score
if pump oil is not avail buy oil from auto parts store for r-12 compressors and use it but remove it as it will assorb moisture when left in pag oil for 134a could also work for emergency again remove it as soon as done though

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You can get gallon jugs of vac pump oil at any HVAC supply house, look in the yellow pages under heat and air. I've never had luck at NAPA here.

Suck the system down then close the gauges and let it sit a half hour , if it holds the vacuum, you should be leak free, then continue vacuuming to remove moisture, best overnight.
If you want that thing to last, you really should change the oil between each vacuuming operation as it becomes contaminated.

diesel4me2

Reaction score
Suck the system down then close the gauges and let it sit a half hour , if it holds the vacuum, you should be leak free, then continue vacuuming to remove moisture, best overnight.
If you want that thing to last, you really should change the oil between each vacuuming operation as it becomes contaminated.

yep the vacuum held overnight :hail. running the pump for the next 10 hours. didn't run it last night because i didn't have the proper oil. i do now. thanks to everyone for the help

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And I though it was going to be another free truck thread!

DragRag

Reaction score
12 hour run is a bit over kill no? Being in the business, a one hour run is just fine. Since you have established that there are no leaks, as soon as you have the vacumm as low as it will go(one hour period). Weigh the charge in immeditely when done, that way if your houses/gauges have any very small leaks you will not be reintroducing an air/moisture to the system. In other worsd, don't just let it sit with the gauges on it doing nothing, you will have a cleaner system doing this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US