Smokey black truck UPDATE. Screwed up my Rally plans, but still had FUN.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran a mix of up to 50% WMO (was actually a blend of WMO and used ATF) and the truck was a dream to drive on that stuff. Noise and smoke emissions were no different but it did have a noticeable improvement in low end torque and power that came out to play on the hills. I had to be careful to start up and shut down on straight diesel, or it would complain on coldstart. Typically the turbo would drop a good 1.5 PSI for the same amount of useable power, and im my case, exhaust smoke seemed to drop slightly.

I was only filtering through a single pass 10 micron filter though, so I didn't want to push my luck and only ran a few tanks like that. My pyro was working back then too, and I don't remember seeing any difference in EGTs, but I wasn't really pushing hard either.

When the moose pump came in and we got busy with work, I decided it wasn't worth the risk to keep running it since I just didn't have the time to make a proper processing unit, or deal with a possible injection issues so I've been running stanadyne lubircity supplement ever since instead.

Up to a 50% mix is something I would run if I had the time to make a proper filtering system - but right now, I simply don't. Thinking more about it, I may have gone as ritch as 60% but it was a while ago....

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Yea, I was getting lazy lately as far as filtering.

Tell me more....

you can actaully see my numbers posted here under Jared Witmer partway down.
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5467&highlight=Jared+Witmer+Dyno
where its not broken down is the first two pulls i did on the dyno i did with the stock fuel system on diesel. the last run (highest numbers) i did with my WMO system running 100% WMO. they came out about 10 hp higher, i kept the sheet somewhere and will scan it if i can find it.

my WMO system uses a power steering pump to feed the motor and runs through a plate heat exchanger to heat the oil. the system is independent with its own filter and fuel relays right before and after the engine. EGTS might be a little higher maybe 100-200 deg but not a while lot. i think this can also vary on what oil you get, not all WMO is the same obviously.

badaceds650

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran a mix of up to 50% WMO (was actually a blend of WMO and used ATF) and the truck was a dream to drive on that stuff. Noise and smoke emissions were no different but it did have a noticeable improvement in low end torque and power that came out to play on the hills

wmo definitely has more power on my 60-70% mix i can climb malad pass in Idaho 7 mph faster, then if I do it on straight diesel. I tried this multiple times with the same load and every time its about 7 mph quicker ;Sweet

badaceds650

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the data.

I put around 25,000 miles on, running wmo, since I set this motor in there, about a year ago.

I personally don't believe that wmo will wear a motor out much if any quicker(if properly filtered and ran correctly)than if it's ran on diesel. like you said in another post this motor was already wore out when you put it in. so even if it did wear it out quicker you probably save around $5000 in fuel bills running wmo that's a lot of bread to put toward a new engine ;Sweet

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
I personally don't believe that wmo will wear a motor out much if any quicker(if properly filtered and ran correctly)than if it's ran on diesel. like you said in another post this motor was already wore out when you put it in. so even if it did wear it out quicker you probably save around $5000 in fuel bills running wmo that's a lot of bread to put toward a new engine ;Sweet

I will have a much better take on this once I get her apart. Not as good as if I started with a better motor, but I will learn something, I bet. I am really curious to see if the rings are coked up. I am half expecting to see something ugly. LOL

So far, for me, the biggest caveat has been the way it has been fouling my injectors with black schmegma. I am hoping better filtering and a lil' diesel in there will keep the injectors clean and functioning normally.

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
The bores measured just about perfect, with no ring ridge or taper, so I never even removed any pistons. I probably should have. I was talking to a member at the rally who suggested that some of the rings could have been overheated and lost tension. Who said that? I would not be surprised if that was the case. The top rings may also be pitted or flaking material off. It also always seemed to have a bit of a miss, some times worse than other times, but always there at some level. It was most pronounced from 900-1500 rpm.

I think either the guy with the silver RCLB Bricknose with black cap or the guy with the silver SCLB Slantnose with a plow rig on it. He was hanging out with Dsl Dog Catcher IIRC

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
So far, for me, the biggest caveat has been the way it has been fouling my injectors with black schmegma. I am hoping better filtering and a lil' diesel in there will keep the injectors clean and functioning normally.

i changed out my injectors late last year and i have been running various mixes of motor oil in my truck for years. my injectors had no build up on them and looked fine. i have kept them and would like to pop test them since i noticed almost no differance updating to new ones. i do run diesel through here and there though and dont usually run straight WMO lately. i suspect WVO and transmission fluid that i run might help clean that junk out to.

i also filter everything well that i run.........tisk, tisk:D

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
What may be getting me is my habit of running the wmo for 600 miles straight thru without switching to diesel. When I go down to my place in TN, I turn on the wmo about 5 minutes after leaving my place in OH, and run it until I get there.

I headed out to yank my old motor now........

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well Dave. It was nice meeting you. I wish you could have stayed a bit longer. I really didn't get much of a chance to talk with you. Please keep us up to date on the postmortum.

Heath

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
It is almost 100 degrees out in the driveway today. In the garage it is 120! :puke:

I am going to pull this 6.9 out right now. Then I will see how far I get it torn down before I pass out.

Wish me luck, it is appreciated. ;Sweet

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Been working on and off in the heat here (bout the same temps). Had to give up some hope and lose time. Stay cool and pace yourself.

SWS

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger