SMF conversion

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
I've been needing to do this swap for a while. Read the tech article and still have one question, Why do you have to use the clutch with the springs on it?

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
It will chatter real bad with the solid disc and the smf. The springs in the clutch work in place of the springs in the dmf.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
It will chatter real bad with the solid disc and the smf. The springs in the clutch work in place of the springs in the dmf.

cant say it any better than that...something has to give a little when applying a bunch of torque to the tranny. in the case of the DMF it was the springs in the flywheel. when you go SMF you need the springs in the disk to act as a cushion.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welded together means no more spring action. That means you would need to add some springs with the disc that has the springs.

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
Ok, the guy I bought the truck off of put in a brand new clutch, I'll have to tear into it and see if it is sprung or not.

Can you see the clutch discs through the inspection plate on the bottom of the trans?

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think you'd be able to see the springs through the inspection plate, it would still be covered up by the pressure plate. I'm not really a fan of welding either. Short of welding, it will all have to come apart anyway to either do a lucky mod or swap in a single mass flywheel. Unfortunately often a new clutch and its increased friction force over the old one will cause a dual mass to give it up.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, people often put sprung clutches in with a DMF. The OP could easily have a sprung or unsprung clutch in there, no way to know until its opened up.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a welded flywheel and a sprung clutch. I bought a whole sachs clutch kit that was for a dmf and it had springs so I went with that one. It cost me like 15.00 to have my flywheel welded and I have drove about 1000 miles on it so far. The only annoying thing is either the TOB they sold me wasn't greased very good or I damaged it when my hydraulics was setup incorrectly. It squeeks alot. I am either going to try to grease it or replace it. Other than that non related issue the welding or bolting seems to work for a lot of people.

If I had the money I would put in another dmf though.

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
I'm going to do the Lucky Mod.

I guess I'll find out if I have a sprung clutch or not when I get the trans rebuilt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726