Smell from heating WMO

gearhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I seemed to have gotten a batch of engine oil so bad and so filled with water/antifreeze that I can't seem to do much about it with my centrifuge.I am just about ready to give the 30ish gallons that remain to the local oil place because it is that bad.However I would like to see if I can boil the water out of a 5 gallons or so to see if it is even worth saving.I am wondering what do with the smell that happens when you heat the oil because it STINKS bad.I am wondering if there is some sort of filter media I could use to absorb the smell.

I have a 5 gallon crockpot with a lid I tried heating the oil before in.The lid has a little hose in the top to let out the steam.When I tried heating the oil before I realized that my 1500W electric stove heater wasn't up to the task of heating the oil at least as a processing step,and secondly the oil when it is being heated STINKS.

any ideas of how I could reduce the smell of the oil?Run the vent tube through water?Some sort of media in the vent tube?

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I seemed to have gotten a batch of engine oil so bad and so filled with water/antifreeze that I can't seem to do much about it with my centrifuge.I am just about ready to give the 30ish gallons that remain to the local oil place because it is that bad.However I would like to see if I can boil the water out of a 5 gallons or so to see if it is even worth saving.I am wondering what do with the smell that happens when you heat the oil because it STINKS bad.I am wondering if there is some sort of filter media I could use to absorb the smell.

I have a 5 gallon crockpot with a lid I tried heating the oil before in.The lid has a little hose in the top to let out the steam.When I tried heating the oil before I realized that my 1500W electric stove heater wasn't up to the task of heating the oil at least as a processing step,and secondly the oil when it is being heated STINKS.

any ideas of how I could reduce the smell of the oil?Run the vent tube through water?Some sort of media in the vent tube?

What about venting into a charcoal canister? You could make your own canister by getting a 5 gal bucket w/lid, filling it with charcoal, and running the tube into the top. Put another hole in the bottom of the bucket for the pressure to release and it seems like it oughta work...

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where are you heating it might I ask? I had 45 gallons boiling today in my basement, you could smell it up in the house, but the smell was gone in a few hours, the wife didn't even fuss too much. It may have been the gasoline boiling, but a large amount of steams was visible as well, I had a feeeling it was wet as it had the brown look to it till it boiled for a while.

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was using two 120V 1500 Watt low density water heaters, and one 240V 4500 watt high density heater. For oil or any heating, low density heaters are more efficient, but these were all elements I picked up for 25 cents a piece when a hardware store nearby changed owners. I just wired them into heavy extension cord wire I have laying around, and dropped them in the tank, grounded the tank in case the contact screws made "contact" with the drum sides. When money provides, I will make an inline heater using a low density 4500 watt element threaded into a cast iron T fitting with a nipple long enough to cover the heater, and the use a galvanized hose coupler and then feed to my pump. I THINK i have maybe three or four more of the little 1500 watt flange heaters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online