Site owner or moderator efforts

Rcannon

Go Cards!
Reaction score
You guys are doing a great job, I appreciate the efforts. ;Sweet

just out of curiosity though, how much time and effort does it take on the part of the owner and the moderators to keep a site up and running?

Swany

Consiglieri
Reaction score
Rcannon said:
You guys are doing a great job, I appreciate the efforts. ;Sweet

just out of curiosity though, how much time and effort does it take on the part of the owner and the moderators to keep a site up and running?

you wanna be a moderator too?

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL.... Have you seen me log of today...LOL....

Not that I have been here all day, but the computer was on....

Mods are here about an hour or two a day total.... sometimes more, depending on the hype of the day....

Tony and I spend more time here working on the site, and the product reviews... maintenance stuff...

Mike- spends most of his day letting people in the BG...LOL... really mike is a great asset to us.. he spends most of his work day here, improving the site, and helping out...

Betwen us all, we are here most of the time... There is a lot of energy and time that goes in, espeially since we do have some places that can get over the edge....

Thanks for recognizing it!

Max Power

Reaction score
I've probably put over 100 hours in over the last week doing the forum upgrades and the server upgrades.

Once that is done, maybe 10-20 hour per week for myself.

Lots of the moderators and a lot of the Admins put in a lot more time then that.

Brian and Mike probably put in 100 hours each a week every week! :hail

Last edited:

DBogo

Reaction score
this site is awsome much more welcoming then the other diesel forums too

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If our members stopped visiting our site, we would have nothing left... Without members, it would be pretty boring around here!

Swany

Consiglieri
Reaction score
ISurvivedNMU said:
If our members stopped visiting our site, we would have nothing left... Without members, it would be pretty boring around here!

You're welcome ;)

You do have a great site Max!

Max Power

Reaction score
Thanks guys. It's not really my site, it is our site. Everyone here is responsible for making oilburners what it is.

I owe each and every one if you a big thanks.

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a question, more out of curiosity than anything. Is OB.net a hobby site? for profit? or just somewhere to run and hide from "He who shall not be named" ;) ?

It doesnt make a lick of difference to me what the "business plan" is, if there is one, just curious about the motivation.

As kinda a side question, barely related to the first, what will be the considered propper ettiquette for vendor/sponsor postings? I know the "For Sale" area is off limits to commercial sales, but what about the rest of the site, and in relation to anyone who may pay money for presence?

The reason I ask, is I have a personal "issue" (and this is not directed at any vendors in particular, but some do this worse than others). My issue is when a relatively new poster asks a fairly common or simple question and the response from about 4 different vendors is "Buy my product, it will do that for you, plus 37 other different things and is completely overkill for your question".

Should vendors be allowed to post like that, or should they only be allowed to respond to questions about their product, to correct errors, and offer advice.

I know everyone in business is there to make money, and I have no problem with that, I just think its like walking into a car dealership and getting jumped by 5 sales guys at once!

Either way, I like the direction things are heading so far!

Max Power

Reaction score
Ob was built as a hobby site designed to show the other diesel sites that a forum could discuss diesels and have fun at the same time. I'd say we've done a good job of that. A lot of the other sites seemed to uptight.

I try to give my mods, admins and members as much input as possible on how the site is run and in regards to any changes. Unfortunately this doesn't always prove to be practical as there are always so many opinions. But we still try the best we can.

Unfortunately we scared a few people away right at the start by being too open. Some people abused this and probably tainted our reputation a bit. We have since managed to find a good balance. My moderators and Admins have done an EXCELLENT job of shaping our image and drawing in new members.

We decided to start accepting advertisers to help pay for the costs of running the forums. I believe advertisers to be an important aspect of the site. I enjoy it when our advertisers contribute to the site and I have no problem with them doing so. So far the other problems you brought up haven't been an issue. We'll deal with them in a fair manner if the need arises. I feel that if an advertiser has a solution to a certain problem with his product he should be encouraged to post it.

The advertisers are just as important as the members in my opinion. After all without the advertisers there probably wouldn't be a site. Someone has to pay the bills. Why should we treat them like black sheep?

As far as the for sale forums being off limits to vendors that is true however if an advertiser had an item to sell I don't see that as being a problem. We are actually in the works of setting up a special advertisers forum so that vendors can have a place to promote their new products or promotions. I think that is an excellent idea that was brought up by ISurvivedNMU.

kwazyca

HALF A BUBBLE OFF?
Reaction score
I just want to jump in here and give my thanks to everyone who helps run OB net.

Thank you,

Tom

Max Power

Reaction score
I just want to add that the best way to thank us is to invite people over here and get people active in the site. The most rewarding part of running a site like this is seeing it grow.

swanee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Max Power said:
I've probably put over 100 hours in over the last week doing the forum upgrades and the server upgrades.

Once that is done, maybe 10-20 hour per week for myself.

Lots of the moderators and a lot of the Admins put in a lot more time then that.

Brian and Mike probably put in 100 hours each a week every week! :hail
WOW! :Thumbs Up
That's a lot of hours for my 10 or so hours of fun a week!Thanks! :thanks: :thanks:
:hail :hail :hail :hail :hail :hail

Last edited by a moderator:

timntools

Chief Runinscissors
Reaction score
Max Power said:
Thanks guys. It's not really my site, it is our site. Everyone here is responsible for making oilburners what it is.

I owe each and every one if you a big thanks.

thats why I did what I could to get tds ppl over here.

you actually listen to what the ppl want, and thats what makes this the best site of all.

aussiedave

TOKEN AUSSIE
Reaction score
timntools said:
thats why I did what I could to get tds ppl over here.

you actually listen to what the ppl want, and thats what makes this the best site of all.

DITTO ;Sweet

VERY HAPPY TO BE HERE :hail

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin