Silencer ring removal

737INSP

Reaction score
Hey Bros... I read an article about removing the silencer ring on my 2004 600 turbo to get better sound out of that thing and so I did. I was told it would'nt effect performance and that this was something dodge ordered from cummings to keep the whistle down. So I went ahead and removed the snap ring and silencer ring. For several day's it sounded great! Then one cold day i took it out for a spin and the damn thing sounded like a big hoover vacum cleaner from hell. Not sure if it was the cold air effecting it or not...Has anyone tried this or heard of it???? thanx for any info...!!!!

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Mine was missing when I got the truck - I have since reinstalled it because all it does is cause the turbo to make more noise. Meaning it if makes no performance difference then I could not see having more noise from under the hood - but that's just me - I'm sort of weird that way...

Now I had mine off for quite a while and never did I hear it sound like a vacuum cleaner. Is your air cleaner still connected?

Headhunter_5.9

there it is Johnny!
Reaction score
you may want to check the rubber boot at the lower end of your waste gate tube. sometimes the two fittings loosen up over time or were never tightened up to begin with. follow your waste gate tube down, to the left of the radiator, there should be a rubber boot hooking it to the box behind the bumper!

this happened to my '00 going up a hill pulling a trailer had just put my bully dog in and changed out the boost elbow. not sure what caused it for sure but in about 20 min I was back on the road. didn't have the correct tools for the job. -cuss sounds like the same issue I had!

mine sounded more like a vacuum cleaner with an open turbo on it!

just my .02 c's

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've seen a buch of these turbos go bad...check the impellor and surrounding area for rubbing...make sure that bearing spins smoothly too. other than that..check your turbo line boots.

737INSP

Reaction score
Sorry for the late response! Yes it was the lower boot connecting to the turbo flange! I found it recently when I was doing the cold air BHAF install. Thanx guy's for all your help!! ;Sweet

steved

Full Access Member
Reaction score
737INSP said:
Hey Bros... I read an article about removing the silencer ring on my 2004 600 turbo to get better sound out of that thing and so I did. I was told it would'nt effect performance and that this was something dodge ordered from cummings to keep the whistle down. So I went ahead and removed the snap ring and silencer ring. For several day's it sounded great! Then one cold day i took it out for a spin and the damn thing sounded like a big hoover vacum cleaner from hell. Not sure if it was the cold air effecting it or not...Has anyone tried this or heard of it???? thanx for any info...!!!!

Check to make sure you haven't sucked your airfilter into the box's intake tube...and no, I'm not kidding.

steved

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online