Sick to my stomach Im so upset!

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
As some of you know my dad and I have been building this "3000 mile" 6.9 that we bought in March/April. Well over the long 4th of July weekend we figured it would be an easy install. So we tackled it. Most hasnt been bad until the final stages.
We've got a water leak coming from the lower water neck on the block, or the hose is leaking at the very top of it, which Im not sure yet.
But the big kicker is when we drained the oil. The guy we bought it from had assured us that the engine had been stored inside his garage since it was removed from the truck, and said he'd drained all the fluids out of it.
Well it didnt feel like there was any oil or anything in it so we just left it until now. We figured we'd pull the plug just to make sure ALL of the oil was out of the pan.
Almost a WHOLE GALLON of water came out of that pan, followed by just a slight bit of oil.
So the son of a ***** lied to us about it being stored inside, and it makes me wonder if the engine is any good at all now, since it had that much water in it.
The engine is not seized, but it sounds like the cylinders are a bit rusty.

So I guess Im just going to go puke now, since I just spent the last 3 weeks cleaning and prepping the thing, and the last 2 whole days installing it and now the engine is probably ****. -cuss

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sean try not to think the worst. I had a ton of water in may oil pan when I did the head gaskets, of course I was flushing things out with fresh water during the job and thats where I guess it all went. Me, I'd fill it up with good oil, throw a good filter on it, and go for a start. Its just water after all with probably a pretty good film of oil on the critical parts. Run it 500-1000 miles and then change the oil and filter. I suspect no damage.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Sean try not to think the worst. I had a ton of water in may oil pan when I did the head gaskets, of course I was flushing things out with fresh water during the job and thats where I guess it all went. Me, I'd fill it up with good oil, throw a good filter on it, and go for a start. Its just water after all with probably a pretty good film of oil on the critical parts. Run it 500-1000 miles and then change the oil and filter. I suspect no damage.

Thanks for being so positive about it man. It really helps, Im not kidding.
I was so pissed off I literally got sick to my stomach and darn near started crying, after all the work I've put into this thing.
We're gonna just go run the SOB and see what happens. We're going to put a can or two of sea foam in the oil to help solvent the engine out, and then change the oil at 500 miles to see how many bearings we fry, or dont fry.

Im normally a very up beat positive thinking person, an optimist if you will. But lately its just been one thing after another and I'm seriously thinking Im becoming a depressed pessimist.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Here's a pic of the engine after cleaning it up, painting everything, and swapping everything from the K block turbo engine to this one.

Attachments

• 100_22392.JPG
    100_22392.JPG
    219.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 100_22402.JPG
    100_22402.JPG
    268.9 KB · Views: 55

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
How do you guys suggest "pre lubing" it?
Cranking on it for 30-40 seconds without allowing it to fire?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
The crank spins, but it's gritty sounding and its a little tighter than I would consider normal.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
I am still new to the diesels ( although I am a ford certified diesel tech) I would run the sea foam in the oil for 1000 to 1500 miles, then drain it and keep some to send in for inspection ( not cheap, but a real sure way to get an idea whats going on without tearing everything apart). I would run it if it where me. I know your pain and would worry as much as you but I still think it is going to be a ok. I have seen old chevy sb 350's with all kinds of junk in them (to the point where I had to pull the pan to get it all out) and they ran fine, These idi's are 10x more bulletproof than those.

keep your head up and run it, your this far in.

let me know if you need anything.

thanks,
Justin

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
How do you guys suggest "pre lubing" it?
Cranking on it for 30-40 seconds without allowing it to fire?

I would pull the glowplugs and pour a small amount of oil in all the cylinders. Don't put the plugs back in yet, but crank it over either by hand or unplug the IP and use the starter. Hopefully it will start to sound better.

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn, that does bit the big one, . . . I know synthetic is some pretty amzing stuff, I wonder if you can save it with some fast work and synth. If the parts were actually submerged, they may not have been exposed to a lot of O2, and may not be that bad. Hopefully, nothin' more than surface stuff, . . . keep us informed. There are a lot of good guy in this forum, and some come up with pretty killer ideas. . . .

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sean, if it will make you feel any better, we've been working on a buddy's Jeep here all day today, and when we went to drain the oil to drop the pan guess what came out first - a good solid stream of water, so clean you could probably drink it with no ill effects. Engine does turn over real easy (tis a Chevy 350 actually), no funky scratchy sounds, so we just cleaned up the oil pan from all the sludge and we gonna slap in a new oil pump and new cam and lifters (old ones nicely wiped out, tho metal shavings in oil whatsoever, guess the filter caught everything), and run the sucker till the wheels fall of the truck. Oh, and the oil that we drain I'm already burning in my front tank :D

My take on your situation, engine hasn't been stared, so no water was pumped up to the cam an lifters, so no damage like our Jeep has - drain oil/water, change filter, dump new oil in, prelube the cylinders like suggested, and the fire it up.