Shredded My Belt

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
I shredded my belt, I kinda knew if was coming but used it up to the fullest extent. I pulled over, cut the broken pieces off, put the belt back on the vacuum pulley(it had slipped off) then drove the 3 miles home like that. i still have a tangled mess around my fan, but that's easy enough. This is my first serpentine IDI so I'm just looking for confirmation. I need the 1105K6 belt correct? What is the recommended belt? I plan on going with Dayco, but do I get the regular Dayco or spring for the other 10 bucks and get the special Poly Dayco belt?

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
i think theres 2 different belts. one for the regular alternator and one for the leece neville....

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Yea, the question I was wondering about was between the standard poly belt and some speshul poly belt. They only had the regular one so that's what I'm gettin. Hopefully the new belt will take care of this damn squeak I've been having.

Black dawg

Reaction score
check the tensioner and all pulleys, serp belts almost never fail by themselves.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Also check the vacuum pump pulley for runout. They sometimes get out of round. Then the tensioner starts jumping around... That ruins the springs and they fail quickly. Just look at the tensioner and if its bouncing better look closely at why and fix it. The idler needs to be flat too. As they wear they get a curve in them. Thats the time to replace them...

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
run away from the Dayco Poly Cog if thats what you are using. They SUCK! They don't ride deep enough in the pulley to properly grab the pulley and the result is massive belt slip, eventually noise and a broken belt.

Infact the cheaper version which is a drive rite, is a better belt for OUR application. If you can, opt for a gates belt.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
My truck did this once before. Maybe twice. It just ejected the belt. No reason. No cause. I put the belt back on and a year and a half later it is still on there :dunno. Kinda a **** off because it popped off in the rain!!!

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Nope, not a cog belt. Regular ole robbed. I've learned my lesson in the past with a cog belt. I know belts just don't shred.....that's what worries me. The tensioner does look a bit weak. I heard that sbf tensioners would work on these trucks....

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
my tensioner is the double pully one. my belt was halfway gone, so i got a new belt. spun all the pullys, everything was good. put the belt on and it looked fine. just for the helluvit i pushed the tensioner to put more tension on the belt and it make a small pop and got tighter and stayed there. but as soon as i loosened it again it didnt go as tight. tensioner was shot. looks may be deceiving.