Show off your WMO/WVO filtration setups

dave1shere

Reaction score
Here are some pictures of my setup. I still believe this is the easiest way to go unless you're trying to do a fleet of vehicles. I get my blue jeans from a thrift store, which I tell them to save all the ones they can't sell. I usually wind up with a garbage bag full. They've never charge me more than about $15. As soon as they get to clogged to work properly I just burn them. I bought one of the PA biodiesel centrifuges and working on setting it up now. But until then, I still think this is one of the cheapest easiest ways to go. I've used this method for over seven years, the main reason I'm using the PA biodiesel centrifuge is to clean my biodiesel that I make. But if you're going to do straight oil. This is one of the best ways to do it gravity fed put into a 55 gallon barrel and pump out from the top down.

Attachments

• Picture 008.jpg
    Picture 008.jpg
    744.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Picture 009.jpg
    Picture 009.jpg
    790.4 KB · Views: 37
  • Picture 010.jpg
    Picture 010.jpg
    871.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 011.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Picture 012.jpg
    Picture 012.jpg
    649.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Picture 013.jpg
    Picture 013.jpg
    713.1 KB · Views: 21

02x72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where are you guys getting your oil? Just going down to the local repair shop and asking to take it out of their drums?

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Diesel just passed $4.0/gal in my area...and with this thread you guys are tempting me to make my own setup! Especially with 3 tractors and 2 trucks in our yard that will be due for oil changes in the spring. $_$

A question just came to mind though...are any of you running higher EGTs from the oil mixture?

Last edited:

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave....when I get my oil setup refined I may have to go out there for some of that giant cottonwood this summer, hehe

I don't have a pyro but I have heard there is slightly less btus in vegetable oil which is what I burn so I would think my egts would be slightly less. I have heard others on here say they have higher with motor oil.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have a pyro but I have heard there is slightly less btus in vegetable oil which is what I burn so I would think my egts would be slightly less. I have heard others on here say they have higher with motor oil.

Interesting, I hadn't heard the BTU content for WVO was lower than #2.

I've been told WMO has a slightly higher BTU content than #2, so that would explain the slightly higher EGT readings.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well don't hold me to it but when reading up on wvo conversions I have read that is why people claim to get slightly lower fuel mpg with wvo. I was thinking somewhere there was a website that showed btus of all kinds of different oils, if I find it I will post a link.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lbs./gal. BTU/gal.

No. 2 diesel 7.05 140,000 48 3.0
100% Biodiesel (B100)
Methyl or ethyl ester 7.3 130,000 55 5.7
B20 mix (20/80) 7.1 138,000 50 3.3
Raw vegetable oil 7.5 130,000 35 to 45 40 to 50

http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/ageng/machine/ae1240w.htm

Thats not the site I was thinking of but what I found real fast.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It didn't copy very easy to read so its easier to see on that link. I didn't read that page just found that and copied it.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Here's mine - haven't used it in a couple of years but with the way the fuel prices are going I might bust it out of the shed for summer use again.:rolleyes: Pressurized oil through 10 and then 2 micron filters - simple and cheap to build...Works good and it can be carried around easily.;Sweet

You must be registered for see images attach

datkinsonsr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had my setup for about three years now consisting of 2 55 gallon drums with an additional bung on the side, pvc plumbing and ball valves, heating element in each tank, 10 micron and 5 micron filters. I bought one of Harbor freight's water pumps for about $30. Has worked very well all this time. I can recirculate the oil for mixing in either tank, can also valve the plumbing to siphon the dirty oil from the 20 gallon containers I collect the dirty oil in. after the oil is heated, it runs through the filters with no issues. Then I can open the valves to pump the oil directly into my truck. The hardest issue is lining up a good source of dirty oil. The EPA has made it so difficult and expensive that almost all shops and dealers won't talk to you unless you are a licensed reclaimer. I have found I can run 100 % when it is our normal warm time, and during the winter, I dilute it about 50% to 30% depending on how cold it is. I have had no issues running WMO. In fact, the BTU rating on oil is much higher than diesel. Lately, I have come into a good source of transmission fluid to mix in. Runs great!

datkinsonsr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had my setup for about three years now consisting of 2 55 gallon drums with an additional bung on the side, pvc plumbing and ball valves, heating element in each tank, 10 micron and 5 micron filters. I bought one of Harbor freight's water pumps for about $30. Has worked very well all this time. I can recirculate the oil for mixing in either tank, can also valve the plumbing to siphon the dirty oil from the 20 gallon containers I collect the dirty oil in. after the oil is heated, it runs through the filters with no issues. Then I can open the valves to pump the oil directly into my truck. The hardest issue is lining up a good source of dirty oil. The EPA has made it so difficult and expensive that almost all shops and dealers won't talk to you unless you are a licensed reclaimer. I have found I can run 100 % when it is our normal warm time, and during the winter, I dilute it about 50% to 30% depending on how cold it is. I have had no issues running WMO. In fact, the BTU rating on oil is much higher than diesel. Lately, I have come into a good source of transmission fluid to mix in. Runs great!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger