Show off your WMO/WVO filtration setups

nateb

Reaction score
Thought I'd chime in here. I just bought 3 filter housings and 18 filters from micronfiltercartridges.com shipped to the door for about $100. I can't take credit, another member recommended the site. Just thought that I'd pass it on as it seems like the cheapest option for filtering.
Was also going to ask who is heating the oil before filtering. I just found a 4 year old thread that brought up using a waterbed heating element. I think I'm going to try that as I will be using gravity and this should help it flow. I have two plastic 55 gallon drums that I got off a guy who owns a carwash. Will post pics when its up and running (about a week).

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
I'll take a shot of mine today. Basically it's a pair of hanging filters, 10 micron inside a 1 micron filter. Those are above a bucket sitting on my storage drum which acts as a funnel. Very simple and doesn't take too long to do a couple gallons at a time. Once it warms up here, I have about 30 gallons ready to go.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
cool! i have lots of that going through the house :). Iv been trying to research this but i cant really get a deffinate answer. If the oil is filtered down to the 1 micron like its soposed to and mixed 50/50 with #2 in the long run does it start to gum things up? as far as the bottom of the tank, lines, electric lift pumps, injectors, ect ect? or does the 50/50 dilute it enough to flow correctly as normal diesel #2

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll take a shot of mine today. Basically it's a pair of hanging filters, 10 micron inside a 1 micron filter. Those are above a bucket sitting on my storage drum which acts as a funnel. Very simple and doesn't take too long to do a couple gallons at a time. Once it warms up here, I have about 30 gallons ready to go.

gravity feed from the sounds of wat you described?

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
My system is a 5/1 micron filter bag in a funnel. It takes a looooooooong time. However, I am only into it for the filter (5 bucks) as of now.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
gravity feed from the sounds of wat you described?

Yes, I just pour a couple gallons into the filter and wait for it to filter through. I'm usually in my shop so I just check it every 10 min or so and add some more free fuel. I have some of my friends drop their oil off when they change it, so I get a few gallons all the time.
;Sweet

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mixed 50/50 with #2 in the long run does it start to gum things up? as far as the bottom of the tank, lines, electric lift pumps, injectors, ect ect? or does the 50/50 dilute it enough to flow correctly as normal diesel #2
Not sure honestly, but temperature affects flow always. It also depends on the blend of wmo... Just make sure to start and end the trip on the #2 tank and when running around run the other with the blended. I hear that oil and diesel blend together well so it shouldn't seperate. Could always try an experiment with a mason jar n oil/diesel ;Sweet

I'd stick a magnet on the filters as well, could help keep the filter clean longer :dunno

dave1shere

Reaction score
One of the easiest filters I have every used is just to take the legs from blue jeans and cut them off above the knees. stitch the bottom of the bluejeans and then take the top of the legs wrapped them around a circle made from welding rod and sew it together suspended over a 5 gallon plastic pail. And you have a perfect filter for pennies. I usually get my blue jeans from a thrift store such as Goodwill or an ASPCA thrift. this gets the oil very clean and can be reused many many times. After the flow slows down I can usually turn them upside down and dump out the contents and give them a washing and hang him out to dry.This is with used vegetable oil. after this I run it through the Goldenrod type filter gravity fed. This saves the Goldenrod from being contaminated and having to to be replaced continually.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Its not done yet but you kinda get the idea. Its a gravity feed system. First filter is 10 microns Second is 5 Third is 1 micron and the last is a golden rod water block filter.

I really like your setup and may steal it but wouldn't it make more sense to have the water block filter first in the series?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online