should i turn up my pump ???

geosase

Reaction score
ive heard that turning up my injector pump will increase my power, especialy due to the fact that i have no black smoke at all even under hard acceleration with a loaded trailer in tow. ive read how to do it but im a little leary just because if it is not going to increase power i dont want to waste the fuel, its a 88 f-250 7.3 idi non-turbo. any suggestions greatly appreciated

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Not to be done without a pyro gauge. You can overheat the pistons easily. Most here will run with an exhaust temp (pyro) of 1150 degrees. Aluminum will get soft around 1200 degrees Yes, you can turn up a non turbo motor but its just really not worth much. With a turbo your forcing more air into the cylinders so it can burn more fuel as you turn it up. I run around 10 lbs of boost for now. Thats 10 lbs of air pressure on the entire intake path. Think of the volume of air at 10 lbs sitting on a closed intake valve. Then it opens and rushes into a cylinder that has a vacuum on it drawing in as much air under pressure as it can before the valve closes. Then this volume of air at 10 lbs is compressed into an area thats only around 42 thousands thick.....What quality is your pyro gage??? I'm not looking to find out by melting a piston.

geosase

Reaction score
looks like i need to invest in a pyro guage because i dont have one right now, are they easy to install and what brands would be concidered good quality?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Good gauges, well, you really get what you pay for. Stick with the name brand stuff, Autometer, ISSPRO, ect.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
it'll help, it was noticable power in my'92 7.3. definately get a pyro, weird though even with it turned up and my foot buried (unloaded) it'll jump to 1150 degrees and not move a hair over it..... :dunno

-Jon

sootman73

Reaction score
when you order a pyro make sure it says it comes with the probe and wire. its not worth the effort to buy the gauge and then try to find a probe that works right with it. then if you have a problem with it they can't say that it was your problem cuz you didn't use their probe. i have phantom II boost and pyro gauges. i like it cuz it has a stepper motor and is a little more accurate. the motors still have a lifetime warranty.