Should I replace alternator bearings?

eldonderino

Reaction score
Hey all

My Motorcraft alternator in my 1994 IDI F250 was on it's way out making noises, and has some play in the shaft. I was in a rush and had to grab whatever they had at the parts store. Ended up with a remanufactured AC Delco. They charged me a $50 core charge. I'm wondering if it's worth replacing the bearings and keeping it for a spare or just take it in for the $50 core charge refund. It was working well other than the chattering. Unless the chattering means some windings may have been damaged?

I know some aftermarket stuff can be junk, so wondering if it worth hanging on to the Motorcraft one.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would do it for a 3g, not sure what the 94 has. If not a 3g I wouldn't worry about it and get one ready for the upgrade swap later. :Thumbs Up

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being a 94, I would assume it is a 3g.

I would take it apart and inspect the windings, etc, before even buying the bearings. But yeah, if it is all good to go, I'd replace the bearings and keep it as a backup.

eldonderino

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I ended up just turning it in for the core refund. It wasn't just the bearings. Some of the fan blades had broken off the stator and had jammed themselves into the windings. I think it temporarily seized up when i was driving because it had some belt dust on the case.

Fortunately I gave the new one a good inspection. The rotor was contacting one of the windings, so I had to go exchange my brand new one.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This "Rebuilt or Remanufactured" stuff the auto stores sell is done out of country. And the stuff is iffy.
I replaced the one on my 86 (Factory one) and went through 3 out of the box that had dry rough sounding bearings, 4th one was a good one and has been on for the past 4.5 years & 76K miles.

I was working with the manager, wonder if they sent them back, or put back on the shelf and passed onto another victim?

Goat

Last edited:

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Napa's rebuilds have gone way down hill. So bad that we stopped using them.

PoodleHeadMike

Reaction score
I would pull it apart and clean it up and look for any obvious damage - scraping, wear marks in the rotor and stator, etc. If you find anything questionable - put it back together and return it for the $50.

But if all looks OK inside then put a pair of quality bearings in it and keep it. Run the reman until it's out of warranty and then put the original Motorcraft back in your truck. That way the spare alternator on your shelf will be tested / known good - waiting for whenever you need it.
PHM
-------------

My Motorcraft alternator in my 1994 IDI F250 was on it's way out making noises, and has some play in the shaft. I was in a rush and had to grab whatever they had at the parts store. Ended up with a remanufactured AC Delco. They charged me a $50 core charge. I'm wondering if it's worth replacing the bearings and keeping it for a spare or just take it in for the $50 core charge refund. It was working well other than the chattering. Unless the chattering means some windings may have been damaged?
I know some aftermarket stuff can be junk, so wondering if it worth hanging on to the Motorcraft one.

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the DIY guys, rebuilding one isn't too bad a project as long as your rotor and diodes are still good. This place carries quality components and they've got a complete step by step rebuild video. They also have a 200amp high current upgraded stator/diode bridge kit that is pretty reasonably priced as well. I've used them 3 times now over the past few years and those alternators are still going strong. They've got good customer service as well, on one of my installs I screwed up and used the wrong tool to press the slip ring on and broke it, I called them and they said no problem and sent me a new one.

https://alternatorstarterrebuildkits.com/product/3g/

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac