Setting injection timing on a 6.9???

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Before you attempt this do this first. Make a witness punch mark in the joint between the pump and the aluminum haosing. Once you have a mark you will be easly able to see how much you have changed the timing. Sometimes when you loosen the nuts the pump turns one way or the other. To advance timing turn the pump towards the passenger side fender. About the thickness of a dime is 2 degrees so caution is needed here. Advancing it too much will ruin the glow plugs. What kind of a meter do you plan on using???

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
To properly do it, you will need a timing device lile a Ferret Pulse converter, With that and an advance type timing light, you can time the thing properly. The factory setting was 8.5 deg btdc +or-2 deg, but with the new ULSD fuel 9.7 deg btdc will give you back the lost power and fuel mileage that went by-by when the new fuel came out.

aaron1976

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles on your injectors? If they are over 100K they will through your timing off and or you could have one or more cylinders that fire too soon. The pop off pressure drops and the injector that is worn will open before one that is not.

I messed with my timing and found that I got a lot more power, torque and economy by retarding the timing. I have new injectors ordered now so there will be timing to be done.

This may not be the case with your engine and injectors. Just thought I would pass my experiences along.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online