sent here from powerstroke.org with a question

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I

As you posted in your other post to, injectors are $500 to $1000 rebuilt. I can get a new set of injectors for an idi for $80, I even paid as little as $64 for 8, for 5 sets from uhaul. IDI is WAY cheaper all the way around to replace parts, or replace with a used engine. /QUOTE]

Ok. you are right. IDI injector are about 80-100 for a set. Then add in a 800 injector pump every 150k and the 500-1000 for 8 powerstoke injectors to go 150-200k in very comparable.

I am not saying the IDI is more expensive, but the PSD is FAR FROM more expensive. I would say if you do your reasearch, they are very close in price comparison, but around here it is getting hard to find IDI stuff

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
theyre both great engines.they shoulda never done away with them.

it comes down to what you prefer.the psd isnt that difficult to work on either.idi parts are gonna be getting harder to get.honestly if it werent for the guys here you would have no aftermarket parts.the psd has a huge range of years for parts and theyre still being made and sold.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure the engine was build properly and if it was you are golden. You can build decent power out of these and they are reliable and pretty cheap to fix. I love my idi...

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
94f450sd where in Mass are you from? My wife is originally from a lil outside of Boston.

musclecarguy91

Reaction score
The engine was rebuilt. The guy said that two of the cylinders got holes in the cause these motors are known for that? I have no idea but they were sleeved and the rings and everything were replaced.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The engine was rebuilt. The guy said that two of the cylinders got holes in the cause these motors are known for that? I have no idea but they were sleeved and the rings and everything were replaced.

Personally being know if I'd want an engine knowing it's sleeved because two cylinders have gave way to catavation. Probally be fine tho just personally I woulndt.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The holes are from cavitation or AKA Block worm. Check out the FAQ or IDI start section for more info on said issue.

Sounds like it was properly done then cause no backyard hacks usually do sleeves.

I reiterate...depending on actual truck condition, it could be an ok deal, not a good one, I am sure if you looked you would be able to find a similar truck with about same condition for considerably less, though not with a sleeved and rebuilt engine. '

Check on the rebuild, did that include a valve job, and new cam and IP and injectors, cause if it did then it starts to be a little more valuable.

JM2CW

OH ya lets focus on helping this fellow out and less banter bout IDI Vs PS guys...keep focused and lets help the fellow with his questions Any one disagree?

DragRag

Reaction score
I was sent her from a guy on powerstroke.org. I looked through the FAQ's to make sure I wasn't asking something asked several times. My cousin's friend has a 94 7.3 IDI non turbo with 215000 miles on it and the motor was just completely redone with over 2500 into it. The body is in pretty good shape and he is asking 6500 for it but I can probably get it for 5000. Are these 7.3 IDI motors any good? Also what makes them so different from a powerstroke? Also is it possible to get bigger HP numbers out of the IDI motors? Thanks

Tell me again why we shouldn't talk about P.S. Vs IDI when that is exactly what he wants to know? Here is the original post.....feel free to read the part where he says " Also what makes them so different from a powerstroke".

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
sleeves can be a good fix "IF" they are done right, they cannot just be glued in like some places will try to do. the best sleeves are the ones where there is a lip machined into the block so the sleeve cannot slip down. you can search out icanfixall or pm him if you want some more detail on that. but if they are done incorrectly they can slip down in the cylinder over time and wreak your engine at some random time down the road. Dave Sponagle (sp?) on FTE had this happen on multiple crate engines until he built his own.

something to be aware of, you might want to check into how it was done.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was sent her from a guy on powerstroke.org. I looked through the FAQ's to make sure I wasn't asking something asked several times. My cousin's friend has a 94 7.3 IDI non turbo with 215000 miles on it and the motor was just completely redone with over 2500 into it. The body is in pretty good shape and he is asking 6500 for it but I can probably get it for 5000. Are these 7.3 IDI motors any good? Also what makes them so different from a powerstroke? Also is it possible to get bigger HP numbers out of the IDI motors? Thanks

Tell me again why we shouldn't talk about P.S. Vs IDI when that is exactly what he wants to know? Here is the original post.....feel free to read the part where he says " Also what makes them so different from a powerstroke".

Maybe, just maybe because he is asking about a IDI truck, just thinking outloud, perhaps because it's his thread...not a debate on IDI vs PS, perhaps because we could wait for his questions to answer them instead of trailing off on some other tangent...just saying for sake of the new fella, to keep focused is all...gee...

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sleeves can be a good fix "IF" they are done right, they cannot just be glued in like some places will try to do. the best sleeves are the ones where there is a lip machined into the block so the sleeve cannot slip down. you can search out icanfixall or pm him if you want some more detail on that. but if they are done incorrectly they can slip down in the cylinder over time and wreak your engine at some random time down the road. Dave Sponagle (sp?) on FTE had this happen on multiple crate engines until he built his own.

something to be aware of, you might want to check into how it was done.

Great point and one I had forgotten to mention. The lip style sleeves are something I would like to get a set of 8 of for a 7.3 then I would redo my turbo block and start a complete custom build....hmm...Polished n shotpeened Rods, polished crank...maybe see about rolling the fillets...ya...oh wait this aint my build thread...rofl.sorry