Secure your Straps

Kimber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got in a habit of tying down anything in the bed of my truck no matter what size. This time it was a 5gal water cooler and a 2 wheel dolly for my son's ball team.....secured to the front by a tie-down stap between the front cleats.
Long story short, on the interstate, the loose "tail" of the strap got between the bed and the cab.......where the driveshaft was waiting.

Secure your loads, but also secure your loose straps....$1100 estimate :puke:

Attachments

• Carnage 001a.jpg
    Carnage 001a.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 71

rubberfish

Reaction score
That's a strange one eh. Who would have known?

On a positive note though, we learned those small
ratchet straps are pretty strong :eek:

They say "scratches" give a truck character,
and in your case, a cool story to tell:)

I'm glad it wasn't any worse.

Last edited:

Brickman

Reaction score
rubberfish said:
That's a strange one eh. Who would have known?

On a positive note though, we learned those small
ratchet straps are pretty strong :eek:

They say "scatches" give a truck character,
and in your case, a cool story to tell:)

I'm glad it wasn't any worse.

My thoughts exactly. I didn't know a small strap like that would be stronger than the bed rail.

I've busted 2 inch straps by running over the loose end with a tire. It isn't exactly a easy process. Kinda involves the truck and trailer in a violent manner. :angel:

Last edited:

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Good advice, anyhow.

I always tie the loose end, jsut because I don't need it all frayed, from flapping, next time I accidently unthread it from the ratchet.

Why is it that ratchet straps are always 10 feet too long, or 2 inches too short? :confused:

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
The front of my bed looks almost the same, 'cept it's bent toward the cab. - Don't let friends help load up the bed, hook up the G-neck, then let them back up the rig around the corner. -cuss

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
I'am not surprised it happened I have had a tail of a strap get under the rear tire when driving down the highway. Your lucky the buckle end didn't get sucked down and start flailing around under the truck ready to take out the side of fuel tank.

Kimber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, if it had broke on the other side of the buckle, I'd have to replace the back glass too.
I just dropped it off at the body shop this morning...lonesome for 5 days.

BigStroker

Koolege Stoodent
Reaction score
Kimber said:
Yeah, if it had broke on the other side of the buckle, I'd have to replace the back glass too.
I just dropped it off at the body shop this morning...lonesome for 5 days.
Yikes.....you figure the strap woulda broke.

Good thing the loop didn't pull outta the bed.....it mighta ripped the side off.....

the front of my bed looks kinda like that from the previous owner loading his 4-wheeler

mocetane

Reaction score
Have them check the driveshaft. Hope it ain't bent. Don't take much.

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
It doesn't take much to put a dent in a drive shaft you should have it checked.

Those load straps are fairly strong yes even the cheapies you buy at the big box stores. Its the ratchet/buckle part usually what bends or breaks the web strap itself is tough.

It must have been a fluke that the spinning driveshaft was enough to catch it and start one wrap then if it crossed and pulled tight it would pull just like a capistan winch (won't use the slang term may offend some people).

I like having a headache racks on P/Us where there is a piece of angle iron that goes accross the front of the box and strengthens up the front of the box.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something like that happened on my old Scout boat...so I now get to subject you all to story time! ;)

"Shaft Alley" (the part of the bilge area where the propeller shaft runs before it exits the boat) was under the galley, and there was a piece of plywood above the shaft, to allow people to go down there safely while the boat was underway. The galley guys were in the habit of storing ice chests on top of this board.

Well, one fine October evening, we were cruising along in the bay, and I was standing watch in the engine room. All of a sudden, the EOT (5 Brownie Points for anyone who knows what that means) rings "Engine Stop". I brought the engine to idle, pulled the gearbox into neutral, and sat waiting for further orders. After about 5 minutes, someone called me up out of the pit, and I got to find out what happened.

One of the galley guys had put two ice coolers into shaft alley, and used some line to tie them off. Problem is, he left the slack hanging...and the line got caught on the propeller shaft and got wrapped around countless times. When the shaft finally wrapped all of the slack line around itself, it pulled the line taut enough that the line cut halfway through the board (about 1 1/2 feet) and demolished the two ice coolers...and, fortunately, at that point the line broke before any more damage could be done.

Being the only engineer on the boat for that cruise, I got the unpleasant task of pulling the line off of the shaft, which IIRC was so tightly wound up that it took nearly an hour to do so.

Really, we were just lucky that no one got hurt or that no mechanical damage was done...and a valuable lesson was learned that evening. :)

J.Keith

Reaction score
Dang that sux!
I wonder how the strap end was able to grip the driveshaft?
Maybe a balance washer or whatever thosse things are called

Brickman

Reaction score
I saw a p/u today that had a lot of body work done to the front and sides of the bed. I had to think of this thread when I saw it. Sure looked like some thing beat the F out of the p/u bed.