sealing dipstick?

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
i checked my engine set a dozen times, it lists the dipstick o-rings but it's not in there...they musta lost them at the machinr shop... :dunno does anybody sell just the dip stick o-rings and should i use some silicone or something too?

thanks,
-Jon

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
all I do is put a light bead on the dipstick tube right where it is supposed to seat in the oil pan and shove it in. never had any leaks there. everywhere else there's leaks though after 50-75k miles.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like towcat's idea I am curious though about some type of mechanical seal at the top of the dip stick to prevent water infiltration while fiojrding a creek/water hole.....

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Don't bother trying to get one from Ford, they'll sell you one but it'll be too big to fit down the hole( BTDT :backoff . I don't know about getting one from IH. The one that comes in the gasket set fits.

At this point you're probably best off setting a glop of silliscum around it and mounting the top of the tube in the retainer over the valve cover

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RTV - yuck. That stuff is for caulking windows.

Get some gasket maker - called "The right stuff" made by Permatex. It dries soft and pliable. RTV gets hard and ends up peeling away.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I use the Permatex copper plus. Its a high heat and oil will not cut it. Thats all I ever use. Don't use the blue crap. It doesn't work for anything. Some time back I tried it and the stuff wouldn't cure....-cuss

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Permatex "Ultra Black" RTV on everything that needs a thick oil-resistant seal, if a thin oil-resistant gasket is needed or I'm about to seal some bolt threads and such I use the Permatex Make-A-Gasket of the 2B variety. Never had problems with oil leaks.